1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for any Berg IP 112 users out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by foderaman, Dec 25, 2016.

1. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I know the Berg IP 112 has been discontinued years ago and I still have mine but I am wanting to know if any users have used there 112 with a external 4 ohm extension cab along with there IP 112 so it would see a 2.67 ohm load rather than the 4 ohm load the sticker on it calls for?From what I have read over the years I believe the Speaker Power amp used in the IP has the ICE 1000 ASP module and a lot of people have used that module with success with a 2.67 load.I would guess it may not be a problem with low volume but wondering if anyone has any experience at louder volumes?I sent off a email to Jim and one of his guys said try it but there is no guarantee it would work at higher volumes?Im curious what any of you maY have to add as any experience you might be able to add on this ?

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Haven't tried. I did try an 8 ohm 15" Berg cab. Combination sounded weird. Despite juicy curiosity I love the sound of the original pairing. This experiment would mean the top 12" would see what wattage? You can't need more volume? If you do you need another rig. I hate to sound overly cautious but you blow it up what will you do? As a working unit it's imminently sellable. :) Perhaps get the new Berg Amp and buy different cabs to switch between. Though expensive that sounds like big fun!

That Jim discontinued it is no sign that it's not great kit. It is designed to sound amazing because of the working parameters of cab size, speaker size, wattage and specifically tailored DSP.

Happy Holidays.

3. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Why don't you contact Jim Bergantino and ask him? I've called a couple of times over the years and he's been very helpful. There were matching EX and HT cabs to add as an extension cab, but they were both 8 ohms. I think the power output doubles and the added cab gives three more db, so you net 6db spl increase. (I have the IP112ER and HT112ER rig.) The IP concept was to use the DSP to tune the amp to match the driver/enclosure, so my recommendation would be to find one of the matching cabinets.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  4. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I appreciate your comments on this matter.I have been using my IP 112 for years along with a Accugroove Tri 112L Ohm cab and it has worked out fine for me.While I know it was designed and programmed to operate with a Berg Ht112 or a EX 112 I take to Jim years ago and said it will work but being programmed with the EQ Curve for these cabs you may have to use additional = or - EQing.My question was in this thread was if anyone had use a 4 ohm cab along with there IP 112?I tried the other day with a TC 112 and it was not a good combo with the IP 112!!! Another reason I asked was the IP uses a ICE 1000 ASP power module in it and many have been using there 1000ASP with a 2.67 load. Here is the reply I got back from John at Berg about what him and Jim had talked about on the IP 112.

Jim and I discussed this and it may work (you can try it), but no guarantees. The extension cabinet and its impedance curve can make a difference as well as how hard you are driving the amp. It may work well at low levels, and may not work at higher levels. One thing to consider is the profile eq in the IP112 - it was designed with curves for a single IP112 and the other setting is for an extension HT112. So you will not be pre-EQing for the proper cabinet, so we have no idea what sort of curve will be sent to the extension speaker. Your best bet is to use a Bergantino HT112 as the extension - that way you are running at the proper impedance and using the correct profile EQ curve.

Thanks!
    John
    So I,ll use my IP 112 the same way I have in the past with my AG 112 or as a Stand alone powered cab.

5. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    You might want to keep an eye on the classifieds for a used HT112. If you tried it and preferred other solutions you could likely resell it without a loss.

6. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I have had HT 112,s in the past so it is no new thing for me.Ive had my IP 112 since Jim first started with them at one time I had Two of them.