1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for anyone familiar with Shoegaze bassists and their effects...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by panama, Apr 14, 2011.

1. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    I've done some looking around online and for the life of me cannot find any info on any effects bassists like Nick Chaplin (Slowdive) or Debbie Googe (My Bloody Valentine) used or use.

I recently joined a band and the stuff we're playing is very much in the experimental vein of Deerhoof and Mogwai, but we're mixing in a lot of swelling/throbbing/washing sounds you hear in early 90s shoegaze.

Based on the recordings I am not hearing a tonne of effects on the bass and that may be the case because they needed something to anchor the super washy guitars and vocals.

All I currently have is an overdrive and my guitarist is lending me an Ernie Ball VP Jr so I can do some swells, but again - I need to not get lost or caught up in the delay/wah/swell orgy that they're doing.

Thoughts?

2. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Well paint me paisley and call me sally

3. if you want to do swells the right way, you're going to need to do this:

BASS -> VOLUME PEDAL -> DELAY PEDAL (OPTIONAL) -> REVERB PEDAL

Personally I would recommend the cathedral by ehx. i use the hall setting with the mix at full. It's the best way to get that washy, swelling sound.

4. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Are there reverb and delay pedals made specifically for bass or should I see if my guitarist has them laying around?

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    been using a bass mod wmd geiger counter and a behringer fx mixer, maybe not a good live setup but i can get some really cool ringing stuff and some cool vacuum cleaner tones

for the jesus and marychain synth bass i use the wmd set for tubey od with a slight bit crush
    for the jesus and marychain early stuff i use a mesa d 180 around 6.5 on volume 2 with the master set according to the situation

6. i would avoid anything that has "bass" in the name. with the exception of very few pedals they are usually low quality and just a marketing scam.

*edit*
    i also just wanted to add in that the boss reverb pedals don't have enough volume to use for swells. they can be okay when used conventionally, but when used as i described they don't cut it.

7. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Yeah I have the Boss ODB-3 and while I hate that it isn't very versatile I have managed to dial in a nice dry overdrive with it and can use it for fuzz too. Basically it has 2 good sounding settings..thankfully I like both. Also I appreciate that it doesn't suck all my tone out.

8. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    OR try

Fuzz/od/dirt->Volume pedal->Reverb/delay(Boss RV-3)->Preamp

and to answer the what did "Debbie Googe (My Bloody Valentine) use" question, I think she used a Boss Metal Zone if I remember correctly.

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Need more phaser*.

*Not that I've ever heard a shoegaze bassist use phaser, but why not? The world is begging for a 'gazed cover of Stranglehold.

10. You'll find if you get carried away with spacey weird noises, you'll take away from the sound of the band, it needs to be anchored down by the bass. Then again, there's always scope, nor does the above excuse you from not having awesome dirt tones. I don't think volume swells will hurt, i'm prone to providing a bit of ambience with a short delay and some tremolo picking. Only way way to find out is to try...

11. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    I don't claim to know a lot about this genre, and the main band that I play in can't really be classed as belonging to it. However, we are influenced a lot by the bands you've mentioned and the two guitarists in the band use a hell of a lot of effects (mainly distortions, fuzzes and delays).

I agree with the post above.. the bass needs to hold everything down. It's muddy enough with the guitars ploughing out white noise - if you start mushing up your own tone, you're just going to get lost.

But then.. why not try it? You might go and create a new genre - uber-shoegaze! :p

12. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Shubergaze

13. I have to agree that the bass in a lot of shoegaze bands is still pretty audible. A lot of times it might just have some drive going on and that's it. Though there's nothing wrong with gazing it up, you might find that the "ground" is not there. But every band is different, it's not "right" or "wrong", you can change it to fit your music however you want.

14. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    Haha! :D

15. sninja

sninja

May 21, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    Just get yourself a good pbass and play through tubes-driven Ampeg. If you don't have enough resources, buy a Japanese pbass copy and Tech 21 VT bass!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021