Question for anyone in/has been in graduate school

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 1, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hello all,

I'm a second semester freshman. I've been planning on attending graduate school before I was even accepted (I'm a pysch major, so I pretty much have to). I'm currently setting up a math track to follow during my undergraduate years as to prepare myself for the GRE. I was wondering what types of mathematics should I expect on the exam. I ask because I was a business student in high school, so I never had anything beyond prealgebra. My major only requires a basic statistics course, but I want to be able to tackle more complicated math for the GRE. I've taught myself a good deal of algebra, but I want to be taught formally.

Also, are there any other tips you could offer to help me prepare for the exam?

Thanks. :)
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Liquid,

I never did get back to you on some of the Psych stuff, huh? My bad.

I'm actually going to be apply for a Psy,D. program soon. We should chat. For my schools, the GRE is not required, so I kind of lucked out. We should definitely talk regarding the Psych thing though.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Excellent, we definatley do need to talk. I'm busy with a term paper this weekend and I have a gig tomorrow night, so I'll try to get ahold of you later this week.

I lucked out in not needing to take SATs for my undergraduate acceptance because I didn't go to school directly after high school (my college doesn't require SATs if you've been out of school for three or more years).

I think I'm going to go after a PH.d rather than the PYS.d since I would like to do some of my own research. I think I'll be working in an applied field though. The university scene seems to be a lot of BS. I'm sure I'll have a more clear view of what I want to do with my career as I get into my junior and senior years. An assistanceship's going to be a major deciding factor on what grad school I go to since I would like that experience on my resume and it will help pay for my living expenses. I'm currently doing very well as far as my GPA is concerned. Since I knew I would have to go to grad school, I decided to kick ass and take names as soon as I could. Of course, I'd love to graduate with a 4.0, but I'm realistically shooting for a 3.9 since I can hypothetically pull myself back up to that grade level if I fall below it.

Anyways, yes - I'll be sure to get ahold of you later this week and we'll chat.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I didn't have to take the GRE's either to get into grad school.
    My school waved it for me.

If I had to, I'd go to a prep course or at least get GRE for Dummies.
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I got a perfect score on the GRE Math section, but I did teach math for a couple of years. You don't need anything past Geometry and Algebra, but there are a decent number of formulas that are good to keep in mind. Nothing too scary. Actually, what is very helpful is being comfortable with word problems - there are often words in questions that tell you what to do (like "each" often suggests multiplication...). I also took it over 7 years ago so some things might have changed. If you get a book, I'd guess that you'll probably be able to teach yourself. But a course in algebra in addition (not advanced matrix algebra, just algebra) would be even better. Try to do some work with Psychology faculty (volunteer is fine) to get a good sense of what you'd like to research (since you'll be doing it for a while) and so that there will be people who can give an informed opinion about you for recommendations.

I'm planning to finish my PhD. in the next 6 months. It's in Education, but I'm getting a minor in Psychology (and one in Political Science). I've also done a bit of admissions work. Feel free to ask questions...but you're a freshman, there's time.

6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the awesome advice, Marshall. I figured that there wasn't anything too advanced in the math sections, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to be wasting my time with advanced calculus courses when I really didn't need them. I'll be taking a course next semester called "topics in math" which deals with seven different aspects of math.

I usually talk to my school's counselor when I have an issue concerning academic matters. I go to a branch campus. My real advisor is at main campus, so getting in touch with him to talk about issues is very hard.

I'm learning towards either cognitive development or personality theory when it comes to psychology research.