1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for anyone who has installed an adjustable trussrod

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wRaith, Apr 21, 2006.

1. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm looking at building my first bass. I'm good with all the wood-working and design and stuff, but have no idea how to install a trussrod.

This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy a trussrod, should it come with instructions telling me how to install it?

Thanks guys.

P.S. What size trussrod would be best for a 35" scale bass (ie. fretboard/neck would be about 27" long I think)?

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

The double action truss rods that I buy from LMII did not come with instructions. There is information on their site about the routing channel required and a truss rod typically isn't a complicated installation.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    You can see the trussrod channel as it sits nicely between two carbon stiffening bars. This is a 34" scale 5-string bass neck, and I'm using a 24" long dual action StewMac trussrod.

5673db79.

The next image is just before glue-up of the fingerboard, and the trussrod can be seen sitting in its channel. Note that I added the rounded extension after the original routing, and that it is just deep enough to give clearance to the hex adjustment nut.

ea040a6f.

I had an enormous amount of concerns until I installed my first one ... at which point I thought to myself "I got all concerned over this???"

all the best,

R

4. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    ditto