Question for anyone with a crazy busy schedule.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mac_the_sac, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Anyone have tips for time management? Im in school from 7:30 to 4:15 everyday I take lessons three nights a week give lessons one night a week and have a 2 hour rehersal another night, I have next to no time to do homework especially this week. I have tons of stuff due thursday and a rehersal from 7-9 for a musical, and I cant skip it, its the only one of four I can possibly make, anyone got any words of wisdom. Sorry for rambling but this is frustrating.
  2. find out which is more important to you. if its all important, then ur screwed, go buy yourself a present.
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Oh, and sleep is your new enemy.
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    You could cancel one of the lessons you teach to be made up later.

Also, outlines in your spare time can cut down on the project time. Instead of spending time brainstorming. What kind of projects do you have due?
  5. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's all about planning WAY ahead.

You probably know about a lot of the stuff that's coming your way at least a week or two ahead of time, so start planning out how at least the highlights and the really important stuff is gonna be scheduled as far in advance as you possibly can. Also, learn to start multitasking. Like, right now, I'm working on a book jacket, a paper for a history class, a newsletter layout, and I'm goofing off here. Multitasking is chipping away at several different projects at once. You don't attack one and finish it before you move on the to next.

Also: Be ready to give up one of two things, weekends of free time, or sleep.
  6. :meh:

Yes, that is a stressful schedule. Lately, I've been going to school full time, homework every week night, plus playing gigs every Fri. and Sat. night, plus trying to do my taxes, answer a jillion phone calls, and trying not to ever lose sight of being a husband and a father.

Total chaos. :help: :)
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Let me give you some advice my father always told me:

8. I have a take home test for math on something i totally don't get, research for a project on jewish culture during nazi era, and a bunch of responses to lord of flies. Anyone else here hate symbolism with a raging passion?
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Put your schedule down in writing....prioritize each item.....make a list of goals you hope to accomplish, and check them off as you complete them. Yeah, you're busy, but the feeling of accomplishment as you mark off your goals successfully one at a time makes all that running around worthwhile, and helps you continue on.

Here is another reason why I suggest we quit calling ourselves human "beings". We need to be human "doings". Does anyone just sit around and "be" anymore? :)

10. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I work a full time job, 40-60 hours a week. I'm also an artist and work on anywhere from one to three paintings a week. I have three kids...all of whom are involved in at least one sport or activity per week (which usually works out to at least two nights a week and part of a weekend for that).

Then there is my wife that needs my attenttion and all of the family activities, like homework, dinner, movies, etc. Then there is the upkeep of the house and the yard.

And, I also play in a band and we rehearse one night a week and play out 1-2 times a month. Then I also practice on my own anywhere from 1-2 hours a night.

The only way any of this is possible is by using a datebook and scheduling everything in...also taking into account the time it takes to get from place to place (which you can add an additional half hour to an hour for the wife and kids, if they are coming along).

Many people fail to take travel time into things. You say you'll be somewhere at, say 6:00. But if you're like me and work until 5:00 (most days...some are longer) and it takes almost a half hour to get home...that's already 5:30...then if i need to get ready to go, that's another 15 minutes now it's 5:45...and if it is a half hour trip to the 6:00 appointment...well, you're already going to be late.

Schedule everything and factor all the time it takes to get your act together and travel as well. Of course, in my case, it helps to have a wonderful wife to help out with things. :)
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Compared to theoretical sociological analysis, Kantian philosophical thought, economic growth formulas, symbolism's like eating cake and ice cream. Starting literature papers is a pain, but once you do, as long as you have slightly relevant textual evidence, you can write about pretty much anything in the book. People eating each other can be symbolism for the vicious social circles formed by modern youths that are based on elitist exclusion of certain members. (I've never read Lord of the Flies...I don't know if this happens...but you might get the gist)
  12. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Best advice ever. Without my planner/datebook/addressbook, I couldn't find my ass with both hands and a roadmap.

Original poster: Get yourself a *good* planner (mine's a small Franklin, and I wouldn't have anything else — if for no other reason than the ease of getting refills). You can find them at Staples or OfficeMax or somewhere like that, and they're worth every penny*.

* if you bother to keep up with putting information in them. A planner is only as good as what — and how — you put into them, and one that's only being halfway kept up with isn't gonna do you any good.