question for benjamin strange

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgamache65, Oct 27, 2004.

1. hi ben !
    i have a mesa boogie thiele cab laying around , it has the 90 watt celestion. since it has roughly the same inside dimensions as my 1-12 scout combo could i add a 10 passive radiator to it and use it as an extension cab with my scout, i've tried it without the passive radiator and it sounds great but i'am afraid to really crank it. will playing bass thru it damage it. it seems to be alright at low to medium levels but i don't want over excursion etc. is there some sort of resistor i could add to prevent this ? and how bout some specs on the speakers in both the theile cab and the scout, i've looked all over celestions site and boogies but can not find anything other than wattage etc.....thanks !!!
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, I think running a bass through it at low volumes will be fine, but in the end it's not a good idea to be pushing bass through a guitar cab. Eventually you'll wear the speaker out.

And don't waste your time and money putting a bass speaker in there. In all likelyhood it will sound terrible, because the internal dimensions for a cab make a huge impact on how a speaker will sound.