1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for BFM (or anyone who has a good answer)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Mar 27, 2009.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Lately, I've been using an old (3 years) computer speaker setup with 40 watts, 1 4" sub (appears to be horn loaded) and 2 MF/HF satellites as a home practice amp. This gets it's signal from the headphone out of my preamp. Wife Approval Factor (WAF) is quite high ;-D However, I'm think I might be overpowering the system as it periodically will simply stop producing sound. So I turn it off, go away for awhile, and it's back. If I leave it on and unplug the cable form the headphone jack, it will still ground(?) when I touch the jack to my palm. So my questions are:

1) Can I continue to do this without blowing up the system?
    2) What do I need to do to stop the dropouts or to be able to play continuously?
    3) Is there a BFM system I can have built that puts out practice amp volume, but with good low extension? Maybe the THT + a top? I like being able to postion the sub and MF/HF's separately, so....
    4) Should I just get an Acme B1 and GK BL600 and call it a day?
    5) Am I just stupid? ;-D

2. Playing bass through computer speakers will eventually damage them. I have been using headphones for practice for the last while with great success. My practice amp is a B15 but I can hear the changes better using the headphones.

Paul

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It stops working because it's overheating, because it's not intended to do what you're doing with it. I don't think going from a 1/2 cubic foot computer sub to an 18 cubic foot home theater sub is going to pass WAF. Which of my projects might be best for you is a question you need to ask on my forum.

4. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Until you can get another bass practice amp setup, some of this might help:
    ∙ Put a fan on the computer amplifier or find some way to increase the ventilation to the amp.
    ∙ Use a compressor on your bass - this might help to reduce overloading the computer amplifier.
    ∙ Use less bass boost.
    ∙ Try running the preamp level lower and the computer amplifier volume level higher.
    ∙ If possible, move the computer subwoofer to a corner of the room - if moving it to a corner makes it a little louder, you might be able to reduce the amplifier volume a little.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If you want an inexpensive practice amp that sounds good at low volumes, #3 and #4 are a pretty expensive way to do it. You don't need that much volume and can't use it without annoying your wife and everyone else at home.

There are dozens of small bass practice amps available that you can pick up used for under $100. I have an old Peavey Minx that I got almost 20 years ago that will play way too loud for at home if I crank it and it still sounds fine at reasonable volumes. You could easily find one used for $100 or less. They seem indestructible. Or, if you want to spend some money on something new, look at the Traynor Dynabass 50 or the Yorkville Sound XM50C. I've got the Yorkville Sound version of that amp and it's perfect for practice at home. It also has a headphone output for silent practice, RCA inputs to plug in a CD player or MP3 unit and a direct out to plug into a PA or recording mixer. That'll only be around $300 or so in the USA.

Or if you want to spend a lot more money, look at the GK MB 150S combo, which sounds superb and is a pro level amp. I have one also. My wife approves of all three amps. And they're all small enough and light enough that she can easily lift one and move it when vacuuming. Things like that are important.