Question for bgavin and/or other speaker gurus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, May 8, 2002.

1. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I've posted before asking about what I should do with my 70's SVT cab whose speakers are old and shot. Replacement SVT drivers are $70 a piece. No way I'm going to spend $560 plus shipping on speakers when I could pick up a newer used 8x10 for around the same.

Reconing the old speakers would run $320 plus shipping, which ain't bad, but I still end up with 30 watt speakers (240 watt cab) being driven by a 330 watt '72 SVT. That makes me nervous.

Are there any other drivers anybody could recommend? They'd have to be either 32 or 8 ohms to get a 4 ohm total load. I've played around with this WinISD program, and am thinking the Carvin PS10's don't look too far from the SVT 10's, although I think I've heard negative things about these speakers somewhere...
    I just want my SVT to sound like an SVT!
  2. Recone... then just don't push your head all the way to 11!

Seriously, if you want it to sound like an SVT... keep it an SVT. Whatever you do, don't stick those Carvins in!
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i've owned a carvin 410 and it was horrible... not worth your time...

I vote new drivers... the cab'll be as good as new for $600... not bad for an 810, if the rest of the cab is in good shape.
  4. Keep it SVT, not Carvin.

If you recone, do NOT use "aftermarket" kits which are less expensive. Your SVT drivers will become "aftermarket" drivers with a different sound.

Are you sure they are all shot?

If I remember right, this is a sealed cab and should offer pretty good protection to the drivers, unless they have been exposed to a ridiculous amount of power.
  5. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'm not sure they are all shot - the cab just sounds very muddy and doesn't produce the volume it should. The speakers break up very early.

The cab has been exposed to rediculous amounts of power - I ran an SVT-4 bridged into it years ago, before I knew any better...

If I recone, I'll send the speakers to Ted Weber. I'm not sure what kind of recone kits he uses.
  6. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    bump for me! Anybody else have any suggestions? What would you do?