Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Bgavin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Mar 3, 2002.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Your Musician's Worksheet is excellent. Thans for putting in the hours it took (and I know it took many).

One thing I see missing is 12" drivers that will work for a 5 string. Can you shed any light on what manufacturers are using these days to make their 1x12 boxen? I assume it's all OEM stuff, but someone must be selling these at retail for home builders. Any hints?

2. The spreadsheet is constantly updated. Almost daily in one section or another. The master copy gets copied over to the web site every now and then.

The new Eminence Magnum series offers a couple of choices for bassists, but not in 12". A shame, as 12" drivers are the ideal compromise in many situations. They get down low enough to support 31 Hz adequately, but dont' require nearly as much cabinet volume as 15" drivers.

The 2x12 cabs typically are sized at 6 cubic feet external volume. This means one driver is sized for approximately 3 cubic feet. There are a number of true subwoofers out there that meet this criteria, but all are notoriously ineffecient.

I suspect all the OEM 2x12 cabs are using custom drivers that have no equivalent in commercially available off the shelf models. A drag, for sure.