Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for bob lee (qsc) or lord valve

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jan 8, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    okay...a few months ago i sold off my hartke 3500 to get an ampeg svp pro, and a qsc rmx 850. i figured the 850 would be fine for me, seeing as i would be running it bridged into 4 ohms. i basically wanted more power and better tone. well...the tone is there, but the power isn't what i was expecting. i was figuring that 830 watts compared to 350 watts would be noticably louder, and it's not. i have the speakon wired correctly, and the switches on the back of the qsc set up correctly. my main question now is, does the svp put out enough power to drive the qsc to it's fullest power? or do i need some kind of signal booster? right now i just have my tuner, svp, and qsc in my rack. i'd have to replace my tuner with something i guess (i'd rather not, but if i have to...). is this what the problem is? thanks.

2. I'm neither of those guys, but must ask, what cab are you using?

3. taurus,
    i've heard of this being an issue with the SVP's. do a search on Bob Lee's or LV's name, it was addressed recently

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    From what I've gathered, moving from 350 watts to 830 watts will at best give you a "noticeable increase" but that you would need about 3500 watts to actually double your volume.

Now, if you double your wattage AND double your speaker compliment, then you'll be cookin with gas.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I use an SVP into an RMX.
    No problem using standard 1/4" leads from the two outs on the pre into the amp.

Make sure you check the settings on the back panel (those tiny switches) configured to how you are running (mono or stereo, etc.).

If you try to run the rig mono while you have the amp selections set for stereo, you'll have problems.

You can get a copy of the user's manual at the QSC Audio website.

Good luck.

Also, more power does not mean louder. If you were already pushing the cab to it's potential with the Hartke rig. You'll end up blowing the cab if you overdo it (which you could do if you're not careful).

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Also, while you CAN run bridged, the amp will run more comfortably in stereo mode. I would recommend adding another cabinet, then running one cabinet on each side of the amp.

I believe one way to check if the amp is getting enough power is to see if you can make the clip indicators come on. If you're turning the amp up all the way and NOT clipping, it can take more input voltage.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I 2nd that Monk. I usually run a stereo load (4 ohms per side). I like it fine. No worry about daisy chaining, also easier for me to hook up. Plus, I can also run a 4ohm 210 on one side and an 8ohm 115 cab on the other. They actually balance out better.

8. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm using a peavey 810tvx (4 ohms). all the switches are set according to the manual. when i'm playing, the clip lights on the power amp come on frequently, especially when i play lower notes. (i play in 2 LOUD rock bands, and i tend to have a stronger attack, with higher action) i'm starting to wonder if the power/pre set up is for me or not. i don't really want to have a rack full of things. i'd honestly just like to have my amp (power/pre or other) and tuner. i was thinking about looking into the svt 4 pro, but have read bad reviews about it's reliability. i was also thinking of looking into the ampeg b4r. i don't know. i hate being so impulsive when it comes to gear!

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    My understanding of the power / volume thing (in a nutshell) is this.

More power, better tone. - The reason is that you have more juice to push the speakers so they can achieve their potential.

More speakers, louder. More air is being moved, so the volume will increase. But without adding more power, the speakers may not work as well... hense your tone could suffer.

More power and more speakers... :D

10. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm not entirely sure about the Ampeg reliability situation. Maybe they are more prone to problems, but

1. Ampeg is one of the most popular brands. Say 5% of all amps by every brand have trouble. You have more Ampegs out there than anything, then you have more reports of problems from Ampeg. Simple math.

2. I've heard from several sources that Ampegs are just as reliable as any mass produced amp. These are dealers of multiple brands, and they could easily steer me to another (potentially more expensive) brand.

3. Ampeg electronic components have a 5-year transferrable warranty. And everyone that has dealt with Ampeg says their customer service is great. If you do have problems, its taken care of. If you have persistent problems, you sell it (along with the warranty) and buy something else.

OK, so maybe I'm trying to rationalize the fact that I just ordered a SVT-CL and an 8x10 cab. But I've been researching this for several months now and I'm confident that I will be trouble-free, but if I do have trouble I'm not completely screwed. I was sold on the Ampeg sound (perhaps its backlash against the clean/sterile SWR sound) so I'm comfortable with my decision.

You shouldn't be impulsive. But don't be instantly turned off by bad reviews either. Dig a little deeper.

11. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    To put THAT in a nutshell. Get the speakers you need, THEN get the amp that will power it properly.

12. I just set-up an F-1X/PLX 3002 combo and have been dissapointed by how easy it is for me to clip the thing. 550w's into my 8 ohm EB-MM HD212, considerably more than my previous 375w's/8 ohms of my old mesa M-2000 and it clips? How could this not be enough power? My Mesa never clipped. This only happens on the deepest of lows; subharmonic dub bass from my DOD FX25. I'd hate to have to bridge but it seems that I have run out of headroom.....bummer. I can only assume that the Mesa was conservatively rated at 600w's @ 4 ohms (QSC is 900w.)
    Anyone know what the peak rating of some of these QSC's would be?

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If the amp is correctly configured in bridge mode and the clip lights are coming on regularly, you're already getting everything that power amp can produce. 800 W into 8 10s ought to be plenty loud!

Do you have the clip limiters and 30 Hz subsonic filter turned on? I would strongly recommend this. If you're a 4-string player, I'd even suggest setting the filter to 50 Hz.

Maybe the frequency response of the preamp is working against you. I bet your old Hartke head had a flat or boosted low-midrange, and the SVP-PRO probably has a mid notch. You might want to try another preamp.

14. he's got an 8x10 ... how many more speakers could he need? :eek:

15. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    A question I've never had answered: Are power amp rating in continuous/RMS watts, or absolute/peak watts?

Some reading I've done on matching speakers and power amps suggests that power amps are rated in terms of total watts. As opposed to actual "bass amps" that are rated in terms of RMS to match the speaker ratings.

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    He was looking for more volume with that 810, so I would guess... Another 810. :D

Add that in stereo mode to your other one, you will get gobs of volume. I am not sure about the tone, that's for your ears to decide... assuming you can still hear anything with that rig. ;)

17. THAT would seriously bite.....
    :(

18. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I could be completely wrong though, that's why I'm hoping someone that knows can answer the question.

19. It would sure as heck explain my clipping hassles....dang. No fun.
    We gotta get Bob in on this one..

20. 1st of all 830 watts is about 4 db louder than 350. That is not a whole bunch louder especially when you consider the fact that when an 8x10 cab is being pushed at 350 it is probably already putting out a considerable amount of sound, adding 4 more db to it just isn't all that noticable.