1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for career luthiers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cstar, Jan 22, 2012.

1. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Hi,

My name is Chris.

I am considering learning luthierie (in hopes of becoming a professional builder), and so I have a question for luthiers out there.

I am 17, so I think I am at the right time in my life to get started. My question is, if you were in my place again, how would you go about learning the luthier craft?

I don't necessarily want to build any specific type of instrument (i.e., bass, guitar, electric acoustic, they are all equally appealing to me...) if that is any help. I'm just a very hands-on kind of kid who was studying engineering but lost interest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I had already started at your age. I was working at Gibson and hanging out with a local repairman/luthier, learning everything I could about the finer points of how instruments function, and how they are made to play better. I was also playing professionally and going to college. I lived and breathed music, but understood I needed the education to get into a good field so I could earn money to develop my hobby into a shop and maybe a business.

Find a local repair guy who will allow you to hang out or help you learn, pick up books like the ones by Hiscock and Koch to learn about building, books from Stew Mac(Dan Erlewine) about setup, repair and wiring, and read, read, read! The more you learn before you start trying to do work, the better chance you have of not succeeding.