Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Carvin R-600 users using 2 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gbenner, Jul 29, 2002.

1. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I've been using my R-600 bridged to a 4/10 cab. I just picked up an Ampeg SVT 15EN. My question is should I leave it bridged and connect the 15 to the 4/10 cab. Or bi-amp it. I would have more control if I bi-amp it, send the lows to the 15, and the mids and highs to the 4/10. But how will the volume be. The two cabs are 8 ohms each, so if I bi-amp them they will have 175 watts per cab. If I bridge them thats 4 ohms and the head will put out 600 watts. My g&k 4/10 is rated for 250 watts but I never played anywhere with the volume over 2 with that cab. I would like to know how some of you do it. Thanks for any help.

2. I use my R600 with a full range 2-10 cabinet and a 15 cabinet. IMO if your 4-10 cabinet is a full range cabinet run the amp in full range. You have volume control of each cabinet that way. I run mine in full range 95% of the time. The only time I bi-amp is when I want to remember why I decided on full range. I found in bi-amp mode the 15 was doing most of the work while the 10's were waiting on me to hit a note in its range. It's still called a BASS guitar!!! If its not a full range cabinet I think you would smoke some speakers.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I would say run 'em in stereo. You can bridge, but I don't know if Carvins are that stable bridged into 4 ohms. Running stereo, you get control over the volume of each cab. 175 to 300 watts looks like a big difference... but it's not. My experience has been that the power stage on the R600 doesn't have a huge amount of gain to begin with, so it's not that easy to actually drive the power stage to its limit.

4. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    jbplayer,your right about the sound in full range. In the bi-amp mode the 15 sounds muddy if I turn down the tens, and the tens sound tinny. In full range you get the best from each cab. Thanks guys for your help.

george

5. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA

I know some people have had problems bridging into 4 ohms, but I run 2 8 ohm GS112s bridged with no problems. Must depend on the setup.