Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Crate BX-100 owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Jan 17, 2001.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Just a quick question for those of you that own the BX-100 out there: do any of you use the extension speaker jack for live performances? I have to admit, I've never used it with the volume over 4 - and for rehearsing at that - , and it seemed to add very little in the way of sound (yes, I know the jack is wired in series instead of the normal parallel) - will it start to become more apparent at higher volumes? Or is it just a selling point? I haven't been seriously considering it (since I'm mainly looking in to a new bass right now), but I've had a few thoughts on adding an extension cabinent (some sort of 15" or 2x10") to it for a little more volume and frequency coverage. Opinions?

2. bass_not_bass

bass_not_bass

Jan 18, 2001
    boy was i happy when i heard of someone on here without "at least 300 watts!" i got the bx-100 for christmas. i have an extension cab of sorts. its a crate pa speaker however not a bass cab. it has the same 15 inch driver and a horn in it. it doesn't really increase the volume(i have turned iut all the way up jsut for fun), but it does give it a good high end with the horn. however the results could and probably would be different with a true bass cab. i haven't gigged with it yet but i may on next saturday. good luck with it though.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I haven't tried this live yet, but I did run my extra 1x15 at the house to see what it did. I'm going to guess that you'll seem louder, since you're pushing more air. It also probably depends on what you plug in. And, if you stack the cab, rather than run it side by side, you'll probably hear a difference. I tried plugging in a Mesa-Boogie 1x18 at a GC once, and it almost seemed that the 15 disappeared from the sound. From the pittance of scientific knowledge I possess, I would say that you will get the most out of it by hitting 4 ohms when you pair up the pieces. Now a question for you - if this is wired in series, what kind of cab do I need to bring the BX-100 from 8 ohms down to 4?

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    My owner's manual says that the internal speaker is a 4 ohm speaker. It says that they wired the jack in series, you can thus add whatever extension speaker you want without worrying about impedance.

Perhaps you have a older/newer model than mine however. By running two 8 ohm cabs in parallel, you'd get a 4 ohm load. Since you say you're already at 8 ohms, if the jack on yours is the same as mine, then there is no way to go below that 8 ohm minimum - in series you add the impedance (8 + 8 = 16 ohms total load). I know that when I first bought my BX-100, I thought the speaker jack would put the extension speaker in parallel, but then found out later that it didn't (should have checked the manual).

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    My guess is that the idea of wiring it in series is just so you can have an extension cab located away from the combo (like on the other side of the stage or as a monitor), rather than to make the thing any louder. But like gweimer sez, that may still give the IMPRESSION of more volume though.

I usually have the gain and level at around 7 or so, but I also don't peg the volume pot, in case I need a little boost at my fingertips. But if I remember, I'll lug my Carvin 2x10 to rehearsal next Wednesday and see what kind of sound I can get out of it.

6. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    ...and the white knight talkin backwards...

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Victor: very true! Don't know why I do that, but I'll try to stop. Makes for some interesting sentences though! :)