Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for DCM1000 users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZoomBoy, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Okay, my Carvin DCM1000 should be showing up next Tuesday so I have a question for those of you who use this poweramp. I plan to run this amp bridged into 4 ohms most of the time and the cabs I plan on using have 1/4" and speakon connectors (SWR 8x8 or 2 Aguilar GS112's). I'd prefer to use speakons if possible but I'm clueless about what wiring configuration I'd need. Is a standard cable wired Black (1+) / White (1-) on both ends? I believe this is what I'll need. What type of cable do you guys use?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i just use Your Average Speakon Cable, available at any fine music store.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Warwick5s.. You have a DCM1000 don't you? is that enough power.. or would you recommend thw DCM1500 or 2000?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I made my own with pairs of Speakon plugs and scrap oxygen-free cable from the local "boom car" shop. I think it's 12 gauge. Works fine...and the total cost was about half of what premade cables would have cost.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...for what i use it for it's enough power...but if i had any 8 ohm cabs it wouldn't be. the 2000 isn't much more expensive than the 1500, so if you have the 3 rackspaces open you might as well do it.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    ok.. now we bring up ohms.. Can the DCM2000 which is 8ohms go through an aguilar 410 cab that is 4 ohms??? i'm not really educated on ohms.. sorry

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    most power amps can run at 4 or 8 ohms per channel, so you would have independent power amps for each speaker or set of speakers.

on some, you can 'bridge' the power from both amps into one output.... this can be run usually at 8, but the carvins go to 4.

the carvin could run into an aggie 4x10 that is 4 ohms.... it would put out more power

at 8 ohms bridged- 1400
    at 4 ohms bridged- 2000

i dont know if you would want 2000 watts into a 700 watt rated cab.... you can usually go up to 2x the rated power, but this is almost 3x.

hope my shdy explanation helped

:rolleyes:

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ahh thanks Eric. That does shed some light onto it. :)

9. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Idiezman:

Actually, if you just ran one channel with the DCM2000 into your 4ohm 4x10, that results in 700 watts.

This way, you would have another channel available for when you add another cab.

I'm looking at the DCM2000, too. I probably won't make a move until May, though.

Do report back with your decision and how the new rig sounds.