1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for DiMarzio Ultra Jazz users

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tommy Gunz, Dec 6, 2003.

1. So I wired up the pickups and they sound great, but only indivdually. When they're both full on, or in series mode (I have a series/parallel switch installed too), they sound less ballsy, thiner, and with less volum comparing to the output when either pickup is soloed. Sounds like a case of phase cacellation. Does it happen because it has something to do with having two side by side coil in each pickup? Does it happen with your pickups too?

2. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    Aside from my battle against the buzz (see thread regarding same), my Ultra Jazz pups sound nice and full, soloed or combined.

3. Check your wiring. It sounds like one set of coils is wired backwards.

The DiMarzio web site has a wiring chart that shows exactly how to wire them.

4. hi lai..
    this is the common fault with jazz basses and to some extent with P/J
    its the overall resistance being lowered by running in parallel...
    but in series they should be louder????
    the jazz sound comes from both on full..so you get a trade off with the phase cancellation that you get to sound like jacko..
    you need to gain more and vol more
    i usually set my gain to clip at the neck pup with a slap and then put it on a notch for both J's together...i never ran the bridge on its own..
    cheers mate:)