Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Dingwallaholics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockindoc, Aug 29, 2004.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Never played one, but I'm gassing, and I've been saving for a Dingwall. The Afterburner 2 is already within reach, but I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to save a few more dollars and upgrade to a Z series or Prima. I'd rather gig with a $1500 bass than with a $3000 bass, so the Afterburner might be a better choice for a "starter Dingwall". But I'm wondering if the dual-density body wood upgrade is a "must have". Any opinions from you Dingwallers?

2. The Afterburners are great basses. I personally have a Prima and I used to have a Z2. They are certainly different basses. I wouldn' t say that it is a must to upgrade to the Voodoo basses from the Afterburners. I've played both the ABIs and ABIIs and I am sure that I would be happy with either of them if I didn't have my Prima.

My advice would be to try to find a way to compare the two. The upgrade to the Prima or Z series basses from the Afterburners is quite a bit of money. It may or may not be worth it to you.

-Geoff

3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Thanks, Geoff. Can you elaborate a little on the differences? Do you think the dual density body design makes a big difference?

4. I really don't know if the dual density body makes a big difference. The Afterburner IIs have a mahogany body versus the walnut/alder on my Prima. The ABI has a maple body. I really can't say what is the difference between the dual density and the non dual density given that the body woods are different to start with. The ABII to me has a bit of a more scooped sound to it than my Prima, whereas the Prima seems to have a more pronounced midrange. The ABI was pretty similar in tone to my Prima. The ABII had a nice tone for slap, sort of an old school J Bass slap tone.

Geoff