Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for DP Custom Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bbob24, Jul 20, 2002.

1. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hi all,

I finally put my downpayment in for one of Dave's basses and I had a question for those of you with experiance with his instruments. Mine is a 5 string, walnut body, spaulted maple top, ebony finger board, schaller tuners. My question is about the bridge, as of now I'm going with his standard bridge. Would I be better off going with a higher grade bridge? What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Bob

2. I have experience with DP.

IMO, the bridge is a very important contributer to the tone. I would opt oft for a better bridge, say an ABM.

I don't think you would regret it in the long run...

Good luck!
    Jeff

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    How was the B string on yours,Jeff?

4. It was pretty good. A little flabby, but not bad at all.

Jeff

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have never felt that the bridge makes much difference in tone at all.

6. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Truth be told, you're going to get a LOT of different opinions here on that. Some will say the bridge is important, others not so much.

But to be honest with you, you're spending at least $600 on a CUSTOM instrument, ya might as well spend the extra $75-$100 or whatever to get good components. Like Jeff said, I don't think you'll be sorry in the long run.

Alex

7. I got a Schaller bridge on mine. I couldn't see having a custom bass built, and then putting generic stuff on it.
    I got it hooked up with all good junk, and been very happy with it.