1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Dunlop Super Bright Nickel players

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Maiden Bass, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    So I'm currently using Dunlop Super Bright Nickels on a 4 string. The new strings that I just put on are really great strings, and do not have any of the problems that I had in the past (with intonation).

I would like to get some info from anyone who has recently used their 5 string sets, in particular the different low B gauges they make 120,125,130 (non tapered).

Has anyone tried all 3 gauges and if so could you please share your opinion on which B string gauge that you liked best.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  2. Jaimelarumba

Jaimelarumba

Dec 21, 2015
    I prefer the 130 and use it as part of a 40-100 set. It balances out well both tone and tension wise. The 120 also sounds great, especially above the 12th fret and for chordal work but noticeably feels looser than the rest. You will need a very light touch not to max it out. I haven't tried the 125

3. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Awesome, thanks for the info!
    I am thoroughly impressed with the 4 string set but worried about the B string since its non tapered.
    Most of the B strings I have used are taper core but unfortunately it's not an option with the Dunlop Super Brights.

I have two new 5 strings coming in soon and would love to use the super bright nickels, but if the B string doesn't sound great I'll be out of luck with this set.

I play pretty hard so I guess it will be between the 125 and 130.

And btw I'm using the 45-105 set.

4. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I actually wouldn't worry about no taper. the idea is good, but its fairly common for tapered strings to just not fit/work well, with *insert bass here*.

Superbrights present a certain trade off, with their B strings. Because super brights are so low tension and flexible-------I don't think any but the .130, gives what I would call something close to a "positive" feel, on a 34" scale bass. However, it doesn't sound as good as the lower guages. Because of this, I've gotten into the habit of trying other brand B strings and only using dunlops for EADG. Currently, I'm using DR low rider stainless .125 B string. Its a pretty good match.Before that, I tried GHS Progressives .130 B string. It felt good, but the tone was not a good match and the Hipshot A Bridge gets pretty exaggerated, when you raise the saddle a bunch, to compensate for a B string with an taper core.

5. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Interesting, thanks!

I'm just super picky about my B string. I used to play Dingwall basses and love the clarity of their B strings so now I'm trying to get close to that tone on a 34" scale.
    Taper core B strings have been a big part of getting that tone.

Absolutely love the NEW nickel super brights that I have on my 4 string Zon right now.
    These strings are IMO absolutely incredible in tone and feel but I am thinking their B string just may not give me what I want /need.
    Just ordered a 125 and 130 super bright and will try them both out when my new Zon 5 string arrives.
    I'm not sure if I could get used to using a different brand B string, but might be the only option if I want continue using these strings on my five string. We'll see.

6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Probably my favorite B string, are Fodera strings. there's something about the way Fodera strings vibrate and rebound, that is more controlled and predictable under your fingers, than virtually all other strings. However, their wrap wire is grabby on my fingers. both the nickel and the stainless steel versions. So, I don't like to use them to string a whole bass.

these DR low riders B strings are pretty good. But I may settle on the stainless Fodera B string. I need to use one, again. I don't use the B a ton, so it being grabby isn't a big issue.

Rather interesting, the Fodera stainless are warmer and have more mid-range content, than the nickels. Their nickels sound like pro-steels or something. Its weird!

7. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks for the info!

I'm pretty much trying to stay with nickels now because I play really hard and really often and stainless are just totally killing my fingers and frets.

Maybe a super bright nickel 4 string set with a tapered nickel Fodera B string? Hmm?
    :cool:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021