1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Question for Dunlop Super Bright Nickel Users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Sep 4, 2017.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    So to those of you who love nickel Dunlop Super Brights for their crunchy mids, flexible feel, and clarity...how many of you have tried the standard Dunlop nickels in the black box? It's been years (actually when they first came out) that I tried the standard nickels and from what I recall they were much stiffer, duller, and didn't have the crunchy mids the Super Brights do. That said, I'm actually curious about them again thinking that maybe something about them has changed being that they are from the same company. Anyone have experience using both of these Dunlop sets that can compare and contrast?

2. I find the regular nickels in the black box to have higher tension but a nice growl. They're my go to string now. I can dig in really and no fret clank.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Standard Dunlops are horrible for those of us who thump.

4. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    LOL! I appreciate that people think of me as a fountain of knowledge but it's not like I try everything, you know?

But yeah, I bought a set of the regular Dunlop nickels once :D Right before the Super Brights came out. They're good enough strings, a little stiffer than most but not unbearably so. Nothing particularly stood out about them but nothing offended me either. I'd put them in the category that I put most all major brand nickel strings...good enough, and most are way more similar than different. They're nothing like the SB's, though. The SB's totally stand out. But if someone likes most nickel strings as they are but wants a little tighter tension than most, I think they'd dig them.

And I doubt they'd would have changed them much since then, though companies usually do reserve the right to make last minute changes to specs without notice.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Ha ha ha, I know from other posts that you're a strong (string?) advocate for the super brights. I thought , "He'll know!" :D

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You got lucky on that one. It's the only other Dunlop set I've tried.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Before the Dunlop SB I used the reg nickels for a bit. A bit stiffer but not much, def doesn't have the mid crunch and note definition -
    I would say tame compared to SBN.

I did like how they aged and settled in with my Jazz bass I use every now and then.
    On a regular though, a bit too dark and overall they lacked luster in what I was looking for with definition and response.

I used EB and DR for the better part of 25 years. The SBN just happen to be the right strings for me - hard to explain otherwise. :woot:

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I would agree with your findings. The 'regular' Dunlops are more like ordinary/plain strings like Slinkys/XL's/Boomers/LoRiders.

10. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    The regular dunlops have a little less high end than the slinky and the super bright, but I recall them having some nice upper midrange. Tension wise they are like the slinkys

11. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I wanted to see if they were different for you all vs. what I remember them to be. The nickel Super Brights are really a unique string to my hands and ears.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021