Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Ed Fuqua

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by lownotes02, Mar 11, 2005.

1. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Hey Ed,
    Got your message about your buddy Matt in Ormond Beach. I tried to email you back, maybe the link didnt work. Can you tell me the name of his group if he's currently gigging around town? I googled him and came up with nothing, and checked the Orlando Weekly (our local music paper)
    Id be interested in catching a show if he's playing around here.
    Thx

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    well, like I said in the e-mail, he doesn't really work Orlando. Mostly Daytona/New Smyrna Beach/Palm Coast/St.Augustine and other assorted (as he calls them) "witness protection" communities around Central east coast Florida. He freelances mostly, it's not really like he's in a "band".

He does some duo playing (two guitars) with either his former teacher Ted Conner or his buddy Jim Graves. He was doing a trio with a woman singer and this bass player out of St. Augustine named Rusty (played a 5 string EUB), but I know he's kind of bereft of bass players. He's been reduced, on some occasions, to playing a gig with Band in a Box. If you have eyes to do some playing, I'd be happy to forward him your e-mail address, you guys could hook up.

Vis a vis the "karaoke" BinaB gigs - I suggested that he get a copy of MOTION and a copy of Sonny's LIVE AT THE VANGUARD next time somebody asks him to do one of these gigs. That way he just shows up and comps...

3. You know what's better than making threads to talk to one person? Sending them private messages. Or e-mailing them.

4. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    As I stated in my original post, I didnt recieve his reply, which is why I posted what I did. Based on your profile, it looks like you dont even play DB, but if you feel you need to play hall monitor, then have at it.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You know what's better than high school electric bass players chastising two upright players who have strings older than they are? Going and ****ing yourself.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Did you take a wrong turn at the TB home page, Brandt?

;)

7. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    (laughing) Ed and Ray, I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! :hyper:

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Anyway, do you want me to send Matt your e-mail address?

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Actually, you can find out how BURNT SCALLIONS whiles away the hours at college...in his Threads Started, aptly titled "Bored Silliness", there's a "solo" that he recorded while taking a well-earned break from his studies. Listen and enjoy. :rolleyes:

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Which one has the bass solo? The BALLAD took too long to load and I got bored. The other seemed to be a hummer/strummer and I got bored.

Oh, I was looking at the wrong thread, there was something else with 2 files in BG RECORDINGS. The one from the SILLINESS thread again didn't load after about 3 minutes (on a T-1), I ain't looking forward to hearing it that much.

Endearing photo at the site, though.

11. Geez, calm down guys. I realize the "solo" is dumb, and I'm sorry that my files have been loading slowly. That's out of my control, though. I guess I'll leave you guys alone now.

Clever jab at my name, by the way. That's nice.

12. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Sometimes age is wasted on the old! :bawl: :)

13. Thanks for the advice!

14. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Ed, I sent you a PM.