Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Eden Gurus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I am shopping around for an Eden 210 and 115 stack. This seems to be the best combination for me for portability and versatility. Here's the scenario: I play fingerstyle in a r&b quartet with an alder P-style bass I scratch built. I am after the old school tone of Dunn, Jamerson, et al. At Dealer "A" I auditioned a WT-400 head with a 210T and 115 (which one I don't remember, but it had no tweeter.) I didn't have to work very hard to dial in a sound that rocked my world. Plus, it seemed very loud with the master set at 11 o'clock. At Dealer "B" I tried out a WT-550 head thru a 210XST and 115XLT. I tweaked the EQ considerably and got a sound that sounded pretty good, but not great. The best way I can describe the sound is kind of hollow and a bit dry with a lack of "bloom" or swell to the note. With the master set at 12 o'clock, the volume seemed decent, but not Earth shaking. I went into Dealer "B" prepared to be bowled over by the newer products. I am left wondering why the two setups affected me so differently. Could it be the difference in the acoustics of the 2 locations? Is the 550 not as "tubey" as the 400? Is the more hi-fi 210XST missing some warmth (call it distortion, if you want to) of the lowly 210T? Or maybe my head was in a different place on those 2 occasions and I simply heard them differently.

2. The "blooming" you're refering to is the trademark Eden mid-hump sound. The XST line does not exibit this characteristic like the T and XLT series cabs do. It is (as you stated) more "Hi-Fi". If you dig the sound of the other cabs I would say go with them and save a few bucks!

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The 210SXT is meant to have a flat frequency response that I wouldnt recomment considering what you are asking for. Not that its bad, I have 2 and I love them, but there are better cabs for what you want.

Go with the 210t.

Peace
    Nick

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    i recently put together a stack with d120t and d115t cabs and an swr sm-400 head. These cabs are real smooth sounding and have the tone you were describing. I haven't heard the xlt or xst cabs, but it sounds like there's a noticeable difference. The older design cabs have lower power handling, but should still be fine with either eden head.

something to watch on eden heads is that the knob centers, at least on the older amps, tend to revolve, so that you're never sure where they're really set. On the WT-300 I had, I aimed all of mine to the same spot when turned down and put a dot of superglue to hold it in place. Before you try an eden head, try turning down all the knobs to be sure they're pointing to what you think they are (same goes for GK heads).