1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for everyone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist15, Apr 28, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I just won a Mexican Jazz bass off ebay and I realy like it except Im wanting to get new strings for it. I was wondering what I shoudl get. I already have a set of Ernie Ball slinkys that my parents bought my for christmas. I really am Looking at Rotosound strings cause all of my favorite bassists use/used them. Jaco , John Paul to name a few. I know JPJ used Swing 66's , im not sure about Jaco. But I listened to the soundbyte for 66's and the strings sound ver metallic. do all strings sound like this when they are fresh? Like does that sound wear off ? Also i was thinkin about maybe getting some flats for it. What flats should i get for a MIM Fender Jazz. The Rotosound flats sound good too.

2. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    If you change your strings like you should you will go through dozens of sets during the life of the bass.

Put the EB's on it and see what you think......don't make it harder than it needs to be.

3. Put the EB's on it and see if you like them. If you don't, go with something different next time, repeat until satisfied...

Also, get a Leo Quan BadASS 2 bridge and an upgraded set of pickups for that Mexi Jazz and you've got a friend for life. Don't worry about it right now, but when you start thinking about trading it in and upgrading to a "better" bass, don't. Just swap out the bridge and the pickups.

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    IT already has Seymor Duncan bassline pickups on it but they need to be replaceed , as soon as I get some money im gonna put Some Vinatge FEnder pickups on it.,

5. I would consider some Bartolini's or replace the SD's with more SD Quarter Pounder's

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Whoa, slow down, everybody!
    Years ago I would've automatically changed the pickups and bridge, but I've learned that a completely stock Fender has a valid sound, too. After all, the basses used by Jaco and John Paul Jones were stock. Their bridges were just like yours. If it's a recent Mexican Jazz (2003-, I think), the wood is even alder (like the '60s ones).
    So I'd recommend putting in those Fender pickups and leaving it as is for awhile. You might even like it that way!
    By the way, Jaco did indeed use the Rotosound Swing Bass set. Use the Ernie Balls you've got, and when they go dead replace them with the Rotosounds. You may like them or not, but as someone else said, you'll go through MANY sets of strings over the years, and you'll have plenty of chances to experiment with different brands.

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    And why the rush to change the pickups? TRy out the Duncans for awhile, see if they sound good to you...
    It's very easy to get into over modifying a bass, especially hanging around here...;) .

shawn

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I like DR Hi Beams for just about everything. I like the tone and feel. Rotosounds are too tight for my tastes and I like the way the DRs sound better.