1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for F-Bass owners out there

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dean82, Aug 28, 2007.

1. dean82

dean82

Aug 14, 2007
    How tight is the neck pocket on your F Bass? Can you slide a sheet of paper in or is nothing getting in there?

Also, I understand the BN5 was designed to use exposed core B and E strings. I'm a Sumbeam kind of guy and so I'm wondering has anyone strung their F with non-taper strings? Did you lose any clarity on the B?

BN5 should be here later today, I'll post pics..:hyper:
    Thanks

2. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Neck pocket on my BN5 is super tight. I feel the bass works best with a taperwound B. Currently has a regular Ernie Ball B and it responds a bit differently from the other strings. IMO the Hipshot bridge doesn't have enough space to accommodate the extra windings at the ball end of most strings. Meaning to get a set of Pedulla or LaBella strings with a tapered B.

3. dean82

dean82

Aug 14, 2007
    Can anyone recommend a good taperwound B & E nickel string?

I just received the BN5 and so far it is awesome. The tone, and playbility is off the chart. It's also relatively light at a little over 9.5 lbs. I'll try to post pics later if anyone wants to check it out.

4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I had one that you could get paper into. The two I have now are tight. Enjoy! (Let's see it)!

5. dean82

dean82

Aug 14, 2007
    Does having the paper width gap in the neck pocket limit the bass in any way? I've heard it matters and it doesn't. I'm used to Fender J's that I swear you could stick a phone book in the neck pocket;)

Thanks for the responses.

6. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I think the Pedulla nickels are great. B, E, A, and D are taperwound. They're smooth in the mids (not as gritty as D'Addario XLs). LaBella Slappers are next on my list of tapered nickels to try.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Fbasses are one of my top favs and I'm not a dealer for Fbass. I have had problems with full wrap string's though and getting the action down low even when bottoming the saddle out, but on other's the full wrap string's have been fine. So it depending on how deep the neck pocket is cut.

8. Pictures please! I have been seriously considering getting an F-bass BN5. I've always been happy with my Fenders, but over the last 3 months, I've been craving a boutique-ish bass, and I really love the look of the BN5, especially the ceruse-white. There's only one dealer in my area, and he hasn't carried an F-bass in a while.

Oddly enough, I didn't like them when I tried one out (probably 5 or 6 years ago). I thought the frets weren't dressed very nicely for an expensive boutique bass. Now that I'm older and wiser, and have more playing experience under my belt, I know that I could have something like that fixed by a knowledgable luthier (assuming it's still an issue).

9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    The F Bass I had was VERY tight in the neck pocket department. George recommends a 'exposed core' B in the LaBella's, but you should be able to use any "B" with an adjustment to the bridge. It's really a matter of taste.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've run Dr Low Riders on two of my BN4's without issue (and with LOW action).

11. dean82

dean82

Aug 14, 2007
    Here are some pics of my BN5. It plays better than it looks, and the tone is better than it plays.

Link to a web album
    http://gallery.mac.com/dean82#100038

Bassmule: GET ONE OF THESE! I havent even begun to find all of the usable tones in this thing. Heck I just barely got the controls down. They really are worth all of the hype.

Attached Files:

12. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I use D'addario XL's on my 99 BN5, no problem with getting low action. I like the grit :)

13. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    WoW! thats a great looking BN5-

I've used D'Addario XL's on mine for years now, they seem to work really well with mine, and none of that set are tapered. DR HiBeams worked pretty well for me too, as did Black beauties.

As for the neck pocket, mine seems pretty tight. A little better than average.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Again, I really love that finish! Congrats on a great, great bass. :cool:

15. Oh. My. God. That thing is beautiful. I think I know what I'm saving up for now.