1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for fellow Warwick Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a_magg, Sep 9, 2008.

1. a_magg

a_magg

Sep 23, 2007
    NYC
    I wanted to see what suggestions Warwick owners had in terms of changing out the pickups and electronics in theirs. I'm just interested in hearing suggestions, I have an FNA Jazzman 5 string and looking to try something a little different without having to get a new bass.

Cheers,

Andrew

2. XxBassPlayerxX

XxBassPlayerxX

Mar 25, 2007
    I love my MECs but the most common Warwick upgrade is to go with Bartolini pickups. They apparently have a much more natural, earthy tone, but lose a little bit of the warwick growl. Then there's the EMG route, which warwick used in the past before MECs. Also, the Aguilar OB3 (or something like that) seems to come up quite a bit as an electronics upgrade.

All I really know is that I love my MECs.

Also, you might want to read/browse/join the forums at www.warwick.de/forum

There's a lot of us over there. My name's Thomas (in real life and at the warwick forum).

Best of luck!

3. Keep the pus, there can be some routing problem on the way. And changing them for Barts isn't an upgrade, they are just different. You maybe should seriously consider changing the preamp. It would be cheaper, less trouble and as much effective as changing the pus.

4. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Exactly!

I put Aguilar pre-amps into two of mine, and it made a world of a difference in my tone. The problem isn't the P/Us, it's the pre...

5. Id leave it the way it is. Warwicks are great they way they are.

6. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I just swapped out my MEC's with Dimarzio's. I thought it would be a major improvement. Unfortunately, there wasn't all that much difference to my ears. Perhaps a little hotter and a little more aggressive, but not much. Problem was, I got much more pickup buzz despite proper wiring. Granted, I didn't shield the whole cavity, but I put the MEC's back and the buzz was gone. I noticed the MEC's use coaxial (shield) wires to their pickups... nice! I was just thinking of the single coil in the Jazzman.

I guess the moral of the story is your (my) change might not be for the better.

7. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    i love my MEC's no reason to change it ;p if i want to change the tone i just add more effects lol

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    You could also try a tone hammer?