Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Gard...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am looking to add another cab. I am using a 4-10XLT and 2-10XLT 8ohms, daisy with a Mesa 400+. I am pretty happy, but I want to squeeze a little more bigness out of it.

Question 1: Will a 4-10XST work well under a 4-10XLT?
    2: Will a 2-12XLT serve just as well?
    3: I have not tried the 1-18XL with the Mesa, but do you think I will gain anything by going with all 10s, Or will the 1-18/4-10XLT be optimal.
    My drummer thinks 10s are the way to go, but I have the 18, and would lke to utilize it if I can. Punchiness and tightness is very important.
    Thanks, Bob

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    do you want it to carry low end? if so then the 212xlt is not the way to go. it has less lowend than the 410xlt, but it is very punchy. do you need to carry a b string through this? do you want to add more punch or more bottom?

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the 18 probably won't have the tightness you mentioned. also are they both the same impedance?

4. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Originally posted by RockBobby [/i]
    I am looking to add another cab. I am using a 4-10XLT and 2-10XLT 8ohms, daisy with a Mesa 400+. I am pretty happy, but I want to squeeze a little more bigness out of it.

Question 1: Will a 4-10XST work well under a 4-10XLT?

Wait for Gard on this.

2: Will a 2-12XLT serve just as well?

Haven't tried one.

3: I have not tried the 1-18XL with the Mesa, but do you think I will gain anything by going with all 10s, Or will the 1-18/4-10XLT be optimal.

You're using all 10's now and say your pretty happy with it, but want more bigness. Using all 10's will be a lot of punch factor while using an 18 w/ 10's should add foundation with 10's providing the punch. If you do have the 18 already, try it out and let us know. Do make sure the impedances are correct though.

My drummer thinks 10s are the way to go, but I have the 18, and would lke to utilize it if I can.

Is your drummer a bass player too? Do you tell him what drums to use? Unless he's signing the paycheck, take his opinion into consideration but do what sounds best to you. The bass is your responsibility and the drums are his. Experiment and find your voice.

Punchiness and tightness is very important.
    Thanks, Bob [/QUOTE]

I know this question was for Gard and apologize for any unwanted intrusion. This is just an opinion and only worth the air it's voiced upon.

5. Rockbobmel

Sorry,
    All the Eden cabs are 8 ohms.
    Yeah, The drummer is the band leader, bookie, owns PA & truck, does sound, owns practice place, and recording studio.
    I tried the 4-10 + 1-18 with a vintage SVT and it was mushy. That may have been the amp. My 400+ is much tighter and the 2 cabs may work well with it.
    I heard the 2-12 XLT was like 15s with a 10s punch.
    I am leaning on the idea of adding another 4-10XLT or 4-10 XST.
    The XST has different drivers, and I want to know if they will mix well with the XLT cab. Thanks

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm gonna bet Gard says you'd be a bleedin' idjit to get anything BUT the XST. I will further bet that the XLT and XST will complement each other very nicely. I owned a 212XLT, and it's a bit of a muff monster. Not tight, not punchy. Fifteens are worse, and eighteens are mushier yet.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    can you say that here? :eek:

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Say what?

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That you owned a D212XLT...

;)

Bob, you want a good punchy & tight low-end, avoid the 18 (I will give the D118XL it's props, it's the tightest 18 I've ever heard by far...but it's still an 18), I have run the XST & XLT 410's together, and it works pretty well, the XST covers the "holes" in the XLT, and the XLT has the "punch" that some would say the XST lacks. Best choice:

410XLT + 410XST

(...wow, I agreed with Munji on this one! What a surprise!!! ;) )

10. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    "I'm scared Mr. Wizzard." :D

11. Rockbobmel

I have the 1-18XL, and a 2-10XLT that I will probably lose for a 4-10 XST.

I was also thinking of a pair of Bergs 3-10. But the shift would kill me. And I don't think I'll gain very much by that move.