1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for GC employees

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigRedBassPlayer, Jul 22, 2012.

1. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

So, here's the deal. I'm wanting an answer from someone who worked the trade in special this weekend. The deal was 15% off any new item with a trade in.

So, I traded in. I received $325 in credits. I turned around and bought a Squier VM Jazz. The tag was $299, but with Squier giving a $25 rebate, it was $274. So, when I traded in, what they told me was they had to take it off the price of $299. But, if Squier was doing a manufacture rebate, shouldn't that discount come off the $274 instead?

2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Not with GC but if it's a mail-in rebate, the selling price is $299 and that's what they'd use to calculate the 15%. If it's an instant rebate, I dunno...

3. BigRedBassPlayer

Squier is doing what Fender is. Fender is giving a big rebate. And Squier is giving a $25 instant rebate. So, GC price was 299, but with the Squier instant rebate, it was 274. I was just wondering what price they would take the discount off, especially since Squier the company is dong the instant rebate.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    You will get more money if you sell your used equipment yourself ... any music store has to make a profit on new and used equipment plus they have overhead.

5. BigRedBassPlayer

I understand that. Normally I do as this is the first time I have done it. I don't feel ripped off at the credits they gave me. I know I could have got more, but I'm comfortable with it. I just don't know how to think of the price of the Squier and what price they took the discount off of.

Let me say, I'm not bashing GC. I go there a lot.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Are you looking for $25 back?

I suggest you contact Squire directly and ask them how the deal should have worked.

Seems to me that you should gotten the bass for $274.

7. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    It's an instant rebate. The price was $274. They should have given you the 15% off of that. Of course it's a music store and discount coupons and instant rebates aren't really ever necessary as everything in that store is negotiable. The coupon just takes the negotiating out of the hands of their under-qualified sales people. Also yeah trade-in at GC? You got hosed. Unless you are about to get evicted or someone has kidnapped and ransomed your beloved pet there's zero reason to sell your gear at 40% of it's value to a GC.

8. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    A lot of times stores have policies against combining promotions. Promotions are only discounts from the normal advertised price, which you can usually get a discount from just by asking. Promotions are just a way get you into the store.

I don't ever pay any mind to GC promotions. I just look up the Musician's Friend price, then go into GC and ask for 20% off, then negotiate from there. You can usually get 10-15% off. If you can't, find another sales rep. If you're lucky, you find a sales rep who gets your not a schmuck and works fairly with you. When that happens, I tend to keep going back to that rep.

Rebates are for suckers. I'll never accept a mail-in rebate as a discount, most times trying to actually get the company to make good on the rebate is next to impossible. Even if there really is an instant rebate from the Mfg, most times it's a argument getting the store give a discount AND the Instant Rebate. The mere existence of a rebate of any kind usually convinces me to not even bother with that product.

9. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I'm not w/ GC, but the vast majority of the time, any coupon and/or promo they offer is based upon, and calculated at the GC guaranteed-lowest-price - which in this case would be $299, as the manufacturer, not GC, is offering the rebate.

10. Doragon

Doragon

Sep 1, 2008
    San Jacinto, Ca
    At least in California they will use the selling price before any rebate. That way the state won't lose out on any sales tax. Works the same way as a new vehicle purchase. The rebate from the manufacturer always comes off after the tax and license is figured out. I've had this conversation many times with clients as I've been in the auto business 30 years.

11. BigRedBassPlayer

This is what the guy told me. And I wasn't sure if that's how it really was.

12. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Yeah, their coupons do a great job of getting people into the store (the purpose of a coupon, after all.) Once you're in there, the realities begin to set in; the 15% won't apply to used, clearance, vintage, or scratch and dent gear. Most coupons won't work on boutique items either. For example, prior to being a excluded manufacturer, my GC offered Malekko, but Malekko has a minimum sale price. So, coupons wouldn't work for them either.

Sometimes, if the manager wants to make a sale they'll work with you. Sometimes they won't. It's been so case-by-case that I can never get a clear reading on what those guys are thinking.