Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for geezer bassists: Who played on "Reach Out in the Darkness"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mark Jacobs, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Geezer here myself.
    There was a song in the mid/late 60s called "Reach out in the Darkness" by a band called Friend and Lover. The song wasn't very good but the bassline to that song was wonderful. Does anyone here know who layed down that catchy bass line?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The only thing I can find out is that Jim Post wrote the song. As to who played bass, that may be very difficult to find out. I am an old geezer from that era, but for the life of me I cannot remember that particular song. It might come back to me if I heard it. I remember a Motown song...maybe it was the four Tops who had a song..."Reach Out and I'll Be There."

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I did some more searching and did find a reference to Jim Post's having written and performed "Reach Out in the Drakness." So does that mean he did it all, including the bass? I don't know.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    As you said, I have no doubt that you would recognize it if you heard it. It was Jim Post and I believe his wife. It came out in the late sixties. I have no idea who the muscians were. Maybe some of the lyrics will jog your memory:

I think it's so groovy now
    That people are finally getting together
    I thinks it's so wonderful and how
    That people are finally getting together
    Reach out in the darkness
    And you may find a friend

5. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Thanks for trying guys. I've floated this thread on a number of discussion boards and everyone says the same thing, "Cool bass line, mystery basisist." One of the guys over at the Fender Discussion Page personally knows the producer of the record and has agreed to contact him. If I get my answer I'll be sure to let you know. Right now we're trying to ascertain who the house bassist for Verve Records was in the late 60s.

6. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    Thanks for turning me on to that song again( i remember when it came out),i learned the bass part and might play it in my oldies group.

I'll sing the high part....i don't really know what the verse is talkin' about...think i'll let my guitarist sing that one!!

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Isn't that the tune that goes "I think it's so groovey now, that people are finally getting together".

That song is so damn catchy. :D

8. hailet

hailet

Sep 16, 2012
    Mount Prospect,IL
    I met a Josh Davidson that said he played bass on Reach Out Of The Darkness. He was working for the Chicago Boys and Girls Clubs at the time (1969 or 70) and he did give me a few lessons. In looking for information to verify all this I have not been able to find anything to prove his assertion.

9. My completely uneducated guess: Carol Kaye.

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    It's not the worst guess given the timeframe!

11. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    According to Wikipedia, it was recorded in Nashville in '67 with Ray Stevens playing keys (and arranging strings) and Joe South- writer of "Hush","Down In The Boondocks", "Games People Play", etc. as well as session guitarist for Aretha (he's on "Chain of Fools"), Dylan (all over "Blonde on Blonde"), and the cool electric guitar on Simon & Garfunkle's "Sounds of Silence". Given that it's Nashville and not LA, that'd rule out Carol Kaye.

The Wiki article does mention some confusion as the record company asserts it was recorded in New York. The album recorded afterwards that had the single on it was recorded in Atlanta with the guitarist from Atlanta Rhythm Section producing- and he started as Roy Orbison's bass player.

John

12. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
  13. fosterav

fosterav

Nov 2, 2014
    Jay Kijek, I've been told. He's my neighbor in Chicago, or I would have no idea.

14. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Sheesh, it's going on 11 years and the thread still lives!! Wow.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am sure some of the "geezer" bassists are not. ;) :D

Can somebody at least link the song? We have youtube and such now. Or is this that deep of a cut?

16. Okay older than dirt thread but this is what I found about the session + unknown musicians pretty much nails it for me getting it from the web
    I emailed Jim Post to see if he remembers? I do know one thing that is a true fact Jim Post said when they went into the studio the bass player? in question asked Jim Post what to play and he Jim had no idea what a rock bass line should be coming from a folk background and told the bass player just play something and that something ended up to be the unforgettable line to the song reach out in the darkness. So just off the top of his head improvised on the fly amazing!

Friend and Lover / Jim and Cathy

by Michel Ruppli, Praguefrank
    SESSIONS
    see also Jim Post
    23 August 1967 Nashville, TN – Friend And Lover (Jim Post [vcl/gt], Cathy Conn Post [vcl] + Joe South, Ray Stevens + unknown musicians. Producer: Bill Lowery)
    001 103533 TIME ON YOUR SIDE Verve Forecast KF-5069
    002 103534 REACH OUT OF THE DARKNESS Verve Forecast KF-5069/ FTS-3055
    003 103535 IF LOVE IS IN YOUR HEART Verve Forecast KF-5091/FTS-3055

17. jt_productions

jt_productions

Jul 24, 2012

1stnamebassist and getrhythm like this.
  18. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Loved that tune when it came out and I still do!

19. I remember my sister had that 45. She traded my 45 of Sunshine of your Love to a friend of hers and didn't tell me! Probably why I remember it so well, it kind of pissed me off at the time! As far as the song mentioned it does have a catchy bass line. Another song that I thought had a cool bass line around that time was Melanie's Lay Down (Candles in the Rain).

20. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    Still wish there was a tab for it! I have no idea, but as someone else said, maybe Carol Kaye?