1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Gibson T-Bird owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Feb 24, 2008.

1. I bought a new Gibson T-Bird about 8 months ago and haven't brought it out much but the times I have it is very noisy, picks up lighting. In fact it is noisier than my Ric basses, and in an environment tonight where my stock 72 P bass was totally quiet (I know the pickups are wired to get a humbucking effect) this bass is really buzzy, it sounds great apart from this but this noise is really irritating, it is there no matter whether both pickups are on full or one is louder than the other). My EB-3 also seems to be quieter than this bass, does anyone else experience this or do you think there is a problem with this bass?

2. No excessive noise problems with mine...

m_39608f29c89893c982a4fe19d595e808.

3. Do you get buzz at all?l I didn't expect to get any from humbuckers.

4. Nothing that I wouldn't get from any other instrument.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Mines kinda noisy too. I even had the control cavity shielded, & that did help....still buzzes at times though.

6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Mine's as quiet as anything else I play.

If it is a higher pitch 'buzz' it sounds like an earthing problem.

7. It is regular line buzz which I wouldn't expect a bass with humbucking pickups to make. It is the kind of buzz where if you turn your bass you can make it go away, I will try shielding the cavity and see if that helps. I expected this bass to be at least as quiet as a P bass though and especially didn't think Ric basses would be even quieter which is why I thought it may have a problem with grounding.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mine's dead quiet. You could have a loose ground wire inside it. Just a guess, but your bass should definately be quieter than your Rics. Mine is the only humbucker equipped bass I own, and it is certainly less noisy than either of my Rics.

9. Yeah, thanks, that's what I thought, I'll check it out.

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    i know other have had this problem with T birds without a solution. I remember someone shielding the control cavity as well, if the grounding problem is not the issue.

11. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    Mine is pretty quiet but when I first played it in the shop I soon realised that one of the pickups wasn't actually working at all (it was new, BTW). A few spots of solder fixed this, and admittedly it was back in 2000, but it shows that Gibson quality control can be dubious.