1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for GK amp owners:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birminghambass, Aug 30, 2007.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Can you use the 1001rb2 as a power amp? There is no input for this but would using the effects loop return achieve the same results? In my SVT3pro it does, but the GK manual states that the loop is pre boost knob, so I'm wondering if I will loose the tone of the the preamp if I do this. I want to have a GK for my blues gig and use my SVP+GK (as pre+power) for my metal gig. Any insight?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, that should work. You will be bypassing the preamp to do this though, and yes, you will be losing the tone of the preamp... but then again, a power amp is supposed to be transparent, isn't it? ;)

3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I know it will work, but I'm wondering how much the boost function will alter the tone. Obviously if the boost is cranked it should change the tone but if the boost is all the way off will I just hear just the tone of the SVP, or will it still be colored?

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I checked out this exact question when I got my Backline 600 head, because I wanted to use it both as a head, and as a power amp for my DIY preamp explorations. A signal generator and oscilloscope helped me sort things out.

I assume all of the GK heads are laid out pretty much the same. There is no way to bypass the Boost circuit when using the head as a power amp. But it's OK. Turn the Boost knob all the way down, and the master volume to a fairly high level. In this setup, you will reach the clipping level of the power amp itself before the Boost circuit starts to do anything. Control your overall volume with the preamp. You're all set.

5. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

not to derail or anything does that boost knob give distortion?

i've heard gk heads will distort and sound not all bad doing it, but screwing around w/ several gk heads, 1001rb and 700rb i could get no distortion. does the amp have to be cranked completely?