1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Godin Acoustic owners... - SOLVED

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stflbn, Mar 7, 2008.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on an A5 model. I'm waffeling between a fretted or fretless.

Has anyone looked into the availability of getting the opposite necks from Godin to swap around when needed or for variety?

I have an email into them, but have not heard back yet.

2. I have an A5 fretted. It's one of the older models, not the SA. They're not really acoustic; they're chambered. But the chambers are so big that they get an almost acoustic thump, especially the fretless one. I was scared off the fretless because I think I'd need the lines there -- kinda like comfort food, you know?

As for e-mailing them, you won't get an answer any time soon, especially if you asked in English. It's not that they're trying to be jerks, it's that they keep the price/quality ratio so favourable by running a *really* lean ship. So there isn't anyone whose job it is to answer e-mails. And not everyone at Godin is bilingual, so there's an even smaller pool of people who might, at some point, have time to stop making instruments and answer a few e-mails.

I had thought that this would change when they moved final assembly of the A series to their new shop in New England (or wherever it is), but apparently not...

3. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    I hate to break the news but Godin doesn't respond to emails. I've tried in the past and never got a reponse.

PM roadkill2309. He owns a Godin 5 string acoustic. He might be able to help.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    hmmm... challenging.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    How would you go about service or warranty issues then?
    Their website has no contact numbers. Only email contact. Musicians friend has been very unhelpful.

6. I've generally gone through my local dealer... or rather, you should be able to get a good dealer to contact their Godin rep. I have to force my local dealer to do *anything* for the client... >:-(

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I have a guy in Chattanooga checking on it for me now.

I'll check back with what his rep says.

Having the bass with both necks would be absolutely perfect for me. 75% of time it would be fretted, but that other 25% of time I'd want a change of pace.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    YES!

Rep tells him it can be done and a neck purchased. He suggested buying a fretted and purchasing the Fretless neck.

Removing and swapping neck would void warranty blah blah blah blah...

Would cost me $250 for the neck.

Looks like I need to find a Godin A5 Fretted for sale.

9. Cool. Good luck with the search. Let us know how it goes.

10. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    Godin DO reply to emails, but as they indicate on their website, it takes a while for them to get back. They replied to my query in a week, not terrible.

I think the fretless A5 or A4 is better than the fretted. They make one of the nicest-playing and sounding fretless basses I have tried. The fretted neck is okay, but not as sweet as the fretless. Be mindful that you may have to get a different piece(s) for the fretless to work well. Fretted-neck action must be high enough to clear the frets and avoid buzz.

11. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    Danomar is right about the fretless Godin. I really, really miss mine -- it was the best fretless I ever owned. And the fretted Godin's peizos pick up a lot of "clack" from the neck that the fretless ones don't.

12. Hm. I don't really know anything about the piezo-equipped model. The SA replaced my model last year. The non-SA model had (or in my case, has) a ribbon transducer under the bridge. I tried out a piezo-equipped one at the local, and it *definitely* sounded different, though...

13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Godin is pronounced Go-DAN

Brett Favre is pronounced Brett FAWV

Brett Favre is not pronounced Brett FARVE

Just like Chi Chi Rodriguez is not pronounced Chai Chai Rod-re-GWEEZ

:)

14. ipscwoody

ipscwoody Guest

I have a the A4 fretted and my fretless neck is due in any day. Takes about a month. Note that the fretless neck does have partial fret markers. Very classy looking.

I as well wanted the fretless experience and picked up the A4 used at a great price.

15. Very nice. I think you'll be happy as hell.