Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question For Guitarists...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Dec 23, 2004.

1. If any, what chord is this?

E-2
    B-3
    G-4
    D-0
    A-0
    E-x

I started playing it randomly and it sounds cool, but I can't seem to figure out what chord it is.

-Tyler

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
  3. Or a Bmin/A, either one.

Try this chord: (Gmaj7/A)

E-2
    B-3
    G-4
    D-5
    A-0
    E-x

Or how about this? (another Gmaj7/A)

E-2
    B-3
    G-0
    D-4
    A-0
    E-x

Gosh, some voicings sound so good on the guitar. I could mess around with chords forever! :)

4. That was me all last night.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Try this one:

A - 0
    D - 7
    G - 7
    B - 6
    E - 0

Play it as an arpeggio from the low string to the highest. It's the "We'll be right back" chord.

6. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I think, out of context like that, you need to name it from A which sounds like the root.

ADGBF#

It's kind of dominant, so A13, but that D...

could be something like:
    A13sus

I sort of hear it as a quartal chord with extensions. I've never known how to signify those with chord symbols -- I always use A4 (etc.). So: A4(add 9, add 13).

Or just call it "Fluffy."

7. Thats a cool one! Thanks for showing me. I'm getting this 600page book all about guitar..manufacturers, chords, scales, arpeggios, the works. So I'll hopefully learn some cool stuff from that.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Just get one chord book. It doesn't even have to be a fat one either, a simple basic one will do. There are a couple o' dozen shapes and you just move them around.
    If you're playing bass too, you probably know how major-minor scales work. It's the same on guitar. Some lessons wouldn't hurt, but let your discovey process happen too.

Believe me, I have alot of chord books, it's been years since I've looked at them. Except one: Mel Bay: Guitar Chords, in Picture and Diagram Form...to teach my son.

9. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I think it's better to learn how to voice chords on your own, rather than learning chord shapes. You end up knowing more, developing your own approach, and you end up sounding like yourself. Although, having said that, Ted Greene's chord book is eye- and ear-opening.

10. mmm... Dm11 jazz chord...

E---7
    B---7
    G---6
    D---5
    A---5
    E---5

First one to tell me how to play a Em11 chord gets a prize!

11. My grandma got me it for xmas, she decided to let me choose my own present this year so I thought "Why not, seems like a good book."

12. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    All open strings. What's my prize?

Or straight bar across the 7th string, for another easy one. Or take that one, and change the second string to the 8th fret -- very nice chord (or leave the 6th string open...)

That's

E: 7 or open
    A: 7
    D: 7
    G: 7
    B: 7 or 8
    E: 7

13. Not getting the Bubonic plague! :-D!

14. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Well, that's a relief.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Use a capo.