1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QUESTION FOR GUYS WITH A EAR FOR SOUND

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fred Mott, May 30, 2011.

1. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I'am using a MarkBass Jeff Berlin combo, which you know has no horn. I use to not use a horn or tweeter because it was a pain to EQ and the band I played with at the time, it didn't make a difference. I'am not playing with that band now, I am taking some time off, and going to an instructor to learn to play jazz a little better. I am a blues player now. My question is, I want to add a cab to my JB combo. Would you go another 15 without a horn are a 210 with a horn. What cab would you choose and why. I would really like your feed back. I would like to stay with less weight, the reason playing the MarkBass. MarkBass cabs are little out of my price range right now.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Matching cabs are always the best choice.

3. I was about to say that the NY151 (w/tweeter) would be a good match for your JB, and then saw your last sentence...maybe a used one?

AstroSonic likes this.
  4. Why do you want to add a cab? If it is for volume I would recomend a 1x15 with a 6" mid; something like a fEARful. Horn tweeters rarely blend well with a 1x15 bass cab. If you want to add a cab because you are not getting the tone you want then it is time to sell the amp and get another one.

5. doesn't MB make an add on tweeter?

6. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1 on the matching cab, or even better an "identical" one but with a tweeter. That said, 2x10 and 1x15 cabs tend to mix up rather well IME.

Personally, I would definitely want a tweeter, but that's personal preference.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Going from a 15 to a tweet isn't technically the best but if money is an issue and there's room in the cab you could add a tweet, filter and Lpad for about 100 bucks, or put a couple piezo's and a resistor for about 10bucks.

8. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    The reason I am adding another cab, I want to take full advantage of my amp, if I decide to play in another band and push a little more air.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Then the best thing to add would be a markbass 15, same sound, just louder. Get one with a tweet in it if you want. If that's out of price range you can experiment with about any 8ohm ext. cab. Results may be hit or miss.

10. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I have a Carvin BRX12 and it sounds decent with it, but it weights 83 pounds. At 60yrs old I don't want to have to load it and unload it. The reason I went with MarkBass was to save my back. I like MarkBass stuff but they are sure proud of their cabs. The cheapest cab I found around here used, was $499.00. That was a 210. If the Carvin didn't weigh so much I would keep it. It's a nice cab.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't know where you are. May have to be patient if your local used market is thin. There's always TB classifieds or ebay. That means shipping.

12. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    Right now I'am working down here by Austin, staying at my cousins house. I will be here 4 months. My rig is with me, I watch craigslist not much there. Plus I'am not sure what to get,thats why I'am bugging you guys. I thought maybe a 112 cab are 4x8. Poll everyones idea and go from there.

13. I vote for matching cabs as much as possible, whenever possible.

14. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I will have to get some spec's, and see if I can find a cab that will match right now I can't afford a MarkMass cab . Unless a used one comes up pretty cheap, buying the combo broke me. It was on sale for $999.00 at GC. My son found a cab he was tearing the rat fur off, as you may have read in my other thread. He got it all off with the help of you guys here, then bought something else. I ask him if i could have it so he gave it to me. I went out in the garage before I came down here to Austin , and measured it. The cab measured very very close to the same size of my Jeff Berlin combo. Just a little taller maybe 1 inch. Its ported at the bottom, I thought about getting a B&C 15 since MarkBass uses those speakers. Then a tweeter maybe, I can paint the cab with Rhino bed liner. I have a gallon left over from my truck. What do you think guys is it worth a shot. I can do all this for $250.00

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Just because they're both B&C's doesn't mean they'll spec similair at all but if you can get interior measurements if that cab and it's port we could find a suitable fit for it. I've picked up some good stuff from CL here but it's one of those things where you just check it every day or two, sooner or later something you can use will pop up. Lot's of pawn shops around that you can find some cabs to choose from. If I happen to run into anything I'll post it.

16. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    Thanks

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have to say, I am not a big fan of Markbass cabs but I really like the Jeff Berlin combo and didn't miss the tweeter at all. That setup sounded so good to my ears when I tried it. If I could add any advice, it would be to scout out a used matching 115 cab and don't worry about a tweeter at all.

18. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I'am not worried about a tweeter at all, I'am trying to push more air when I need it, for a little bigger gigs. Get a little closer to that 500 watts when I need it. When I use it on my 212 cab, I don't use a tweeter and I like it. To bad it weighs 83pds and its a neo cab. Big and bulky,hard to put in the Durango by myself with this stupid banged up shoulder.

19. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    If you're taking some time off from gigging, and you're taking some jazz instruction, presumably with a view to playing in that context, I'm not sure why you need to be louder than you're going to get with the Berlin combo. I'd be hanging on to my money before buying a cabinet I probably wouldn't need. Who knows, if the jazz bug bites, you may prefer to spend it on an upright?

20. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I have thought about getting one of those new thin electronic stand ups.