1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for handy people re: voltage converters for appliances

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by csala, May 17, 2011.

  1. csala


    Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Hi there,

    I have a question which I hope will be an easy one for those more handy than myself.

    I have a washing machine with the 220v plug (large round one). I want to move it to an area where only standard 3 prong plugs are (the ones you find in your living room).

    Can I buy some type of stand alone voltage converter to handle the job, or do I need an electrician to change out the plug?

    Thanks in advance for your help... I hope my man card isn't revoked :)
  2. fdeck

    fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

    Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am not an electrician.

    But in my view, a wash machine will draw so much power that it would take a sizable step-up transformer, possibly costing more than a new wash machine. And of course that transformer will have its own efficiency losses.

    Does the wash machine really run on 220? I thought only electric dryers did. There should be a plate on the back of each appliance with the actual requirements. If it's a 110 V washer with an oddball plug to let it run on one side of a 220 V outlet, then you might just have to replace the plug. If you are moving into an area that has gas service, you might consider getting a gas dryer. In some areas, the gas company will hook up your gas for free.
  3. csala


    Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    This is one of those stack-able washer/dryer units. I should have been more clear.
  4. L-A


    Jul 17, 2008
    Hmmm. If it takes 220V, there's really no other outlet you can plug it in, as it will jump the circuit's 110V breaker. You can run through your breaker panel to see if any other loop has is 220V but I highly doubt it (it's fire-startingly dangerous if not properly done).

    You should have an electrician come and do the job. It's not especially hard but it *has* to be done right.
  5. Phalex

    Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

    Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  6. Clark Dark

    Clark Dark

    Mar 3, 2005
    as mentioned the safest thing to do is have an electrician run a 220 line. It will draw less amps. It also won't spike your elec. bill
  7. Indiana Mike

    Indiana Mike Supporting Member

    Nov 18, 2005
    You HAVE to have 220 if that is what it calls for .

    If you bought a step up transformer the existing circuit is likely undersized anywho
  8. MJ5150

    MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hire an electrician and do it right.

    You can run a converter and give it a try. I'll watch for the news headline about your house burning down if you do. Or maybe it will hit YouTube first.

  9. csala


    Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca

    Point taken ;)

    I have an electrician coming over Friday. Much appreciated.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.