Question for Hartke XL-410 cab users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dabluesman, Mar 20, 2005.

1. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    I just got this cab today for $200 (used.) I'm wondering if anyone can give me some details about it. I've searched around for info but this cab doesnt seem to be the 400 watt version that keeps showing up in my search results. On the back of the cab it says it's a 240 watt and the logo on the front looks different, it says "transient attack". I think this might be an older one. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm going to be using it with a fender bassman 400H head.

2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That resembles the 410XL I used to own, so it would probably be a model from the mid or latter 90s. I liked it, good cab when paired with the right head and a 115. Didn't do well with growly sounds but was wonderful with clean bright tones and packed a heavy punch.

A couple things to remember about aluminum cones:

-They have very different frequency curves than paper, so you will need to EQ your head differently. Don't assume the cab sounds like crap the first tiem you plug it it. In my expirience you don't need to boost the mids like you do with most bass rigs, there is plenty of mid and high end projection in the cab already. Lows may need to be boosted though this is not what the cab is good at, get a 115 if you want more bottom.

-Cold is the mortal enemy of AL. The cones will litterally shatter if you try to play them cold. Keep the cab in a heated room and always let it warm up to room temp before playing if you move it. I lost a cab once because it sat outside in a van for 2 hours before a december gig.

Aluminum is a very different sound than paper, but I like it. Maybe you will too if you give them a shot. My XL series cabs served me quite well in several bands over the years. That one should do the same for you.
  3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Looks like an older model. I have a XL 410 and it's a 400 watter.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have the same model currently. It's a good cabinet, and sounds very good. Like tash said, it is a different sound than any other cabinet, and be careful about cold.
  5. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Thanks for the reply's! I got to play this cab last night, It sounded as I expected it would... that hartke sound. I really do need to add a 15 incher to get those deep lows but for now it should work fine for band practice (since we're not gigging yet.)
    However since the cab is rated 240 watts at 8 ohms (and i'm pushing about 200 watts through it now), would the total 350 watts of my head (which I would get if I added a second 8 ohm cab) be too much power for the 240 watt Hartke cab? Thanks!
  6. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Nope you'll be OK because the 2nd cab will share the load so no problems.