1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question: For how much can I sell a GK Backline110 combo with blown speaker???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, May 9, 2006.

1. I need money.. you know GAS!

so, maybe you can help me. I haven't sold too much gear in my life so I don't know how much worth a GK Backline110 combo with blown speaker is.. Everything else is ok, but speaker blown...

thanks!

2. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    I suppose you could find out the price normally asked for used amps like yours in good shape and then substract from that amount the cost of buying and installing a new speaker...

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You should either replace the speaker or have the blown one reconed before selling the amp.

When you try to sell a piece of gear with "issues" you scare off a lot of potential buyers...those that don't want to deal with a repair on a new (to them) piece of gear and those who would (wisely) wonder what else might be wrong...(as in, what is the blown speaker hiding???).

You will however, attract those that want a bargain and will offer you very little for the amp.

A Backline110 is more of a beginner's amp...your potential buyers would most likely be young people (teenagers) and the amp would probably be purchased for them by a parent. As a parent, I wouldn't buy my child anything that needed repair unless I personally knew what it would cost to fix it...but I'm an engineer by day and have a mindset that things can be fixed...judging by the amount of stuff that my neighbors throw out each week, the belief is not universal...

Good luck!!!

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    A guideline I usually use is, when something has no collectable value, a used, in good shape, currently available product is worth no more than 65-70% of the new price. You can run the numbers in Euros for yourself, but as an example, your amp (new) is priced at $225 at MF, so used I'd pay no more than $150. Subtract the cost of replacing the driver and you're not going to be left with a lot of cash.

Sorry.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Replace the speaker prior to selling. You will have a hard time selling a backline that shows obvious signs of abuse.

6. yeah, you guys are right.. i also wouldn't buy it either.
    Thanks for the input so far!!! :)

How much do you think will it cost me to put in a new speaker?

thanks

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Cheap but good speakers are available at www.partsexpress.com or you can email GK about how much they want to sell you a replacement for. The actual GK replacement would be better for resale, but you might be able to save money by going with a musical instrument speaker from PE.

8. 5onit.

9. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    with an eminence alpha or beta 10 the backline will be better than ever before. very likely the bad reviews of the backlines here are a result of cheap speakers.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Eminence 10" bass speakers are offered at the store I mentioned before www.partsexpress.com BTW.