Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Iamp users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Feb 5, 2004.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I just picked up an Iamp 500 and am loving the tone. I do have a question about the input section of the preamp. I'm using a passive jazz style bass into the passive input and I can't drive the input to clipping. I'm concerned that I am not getting full power from the amp. When I turn the input level, output level and boost the bass all the way I can get the output clip light to barely flicker but the input overload light still doesn't come on. I've used this bass with other amps and never had a problem with input levels. I've emailed EA regarding this and am still waiting for a reply. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you think something is wrong with the amp?

2. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I have the iAMP350 and use a passive Jazz bass. I have the same 'symptom' and I'm not worried about it at all.

3. I have had an iAmp350 and an iAmp and I have never had this problem. I can quite easily drive the preamp into clipping if I max out the input gain.

Have you tried the bass through another amp lately to see if some problem there has developed? Otherwise I guess you'll have to wait and see what the guys at EA say.

Geoff

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Geoff, are you using passive basses with yours? I have used my bass with other amps and have not had this problem. It seems strange if they did design the input to have such a low gain level. In any case I got a reply from Gary and he suggested that I live with it for a while but offered to "tweak" the amp if I was not happy. I am still interesed in hearing other user's experience with these amps.