Question for Iamp users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Feb 5, 2004.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I just picked up an Iamp 500 and am loving the tone. I do have a question about the input section of the preamp. I'm using a passive jazz style bass into the passive input and I can't drive the input to clipping. I'm concerned that I am not getting full power from the amp. When I turn the input level, output level and boost the bass all the way I can get the output clip light to barely flicker but the input overload light still doesn't come on. I've used this bass with other amps and never had a problem with input levels. I've emailed EA regarding this and am still waiting for a reply. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you think something is wrong with the amp?
  2. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I have the iAMP350 and use a passive Jazz bass. I have the same 'symptom' and I'm not worried about it at all.
  3. I have had an iAmp350 and an iAmp and I have never had this problem. I can quite easily drive the preamp into clipping if I max out the input gain.

Have you tried the bass through another amp lately to see if some problem there has developed? Otherwise I guess you'll have to wait and see what the guys at EA say.

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Geoff, are you using passive basses with yours? I have used my bass with other amps and have not had this problem. It seems strange if they did design the input to have such a low gain level. In any case I got a reply from Gary and he suggested that I live with it for a while but offered to "tweak" the amp if I was not happy. I am still interesed in hearing other user's experience with these amps.