1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Ibanez SR500 Owners.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikeyd74, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Has anyone else had a problem with the "E" string being louder the the rest of the strings?
    I've adjusted the pickups, adjusted the action, and changed the strings twice and it still sounds and feels like the "E" string is louder.
    I use the same guage strings on the rest of my basses so there isn't a problem with that.
    Any help would be great!

2. Terry_R

Terry_R

Aug 5, 2006
    Canada
    I haven't had any problems like this with mine.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    How are you adjusting the EQ, both on the bass and at the amp?

4. might be your eq/amp... for example, my amp is screwed, the E and A strings soudn much louder than the rest... but when i use headphones, theyre perfectly fine.

5. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I was experimenting with that yesterday. I ended up just leaving the controls on the bass all the way up. It doesn't make a difference which EQ you adjust or how you adjust it, the "E" string is always a little louder.
    Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it.

6. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I have several basses and none of them have that problem when I use the same amp.
    I was wondering if it might be the electronics in the bass itself. But that would mean there would probably be some other people experiencing the same problem.
    Thanks though.

7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    You know, now that you mentioned it, I think you might be right; mine is not louder in terms of volume, but seems to have more presence than the rest and tends to make my cab rattle. I thought it was a problem with the EQ...

8. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Never noticed anything like that on mine.

9. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    It seems like the "E" string overpowers the rest of the strings no matter what you do? Especially if you play some scales, then it's really noticeable.
    Maybe we both have basses that have some electronics problems cuz that's the only thing I can figure now.

10. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Perhaps you could adjust just the E string side of your pups?

11. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I notice the same problem on my Carvin (soap bars). the E and A are REEEAAAALLYYYYY loud and muddy, and the rest of em aren't. NOT an eq problem, does this regardless of amp.

12. mdangelo

mdangelo Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I've never had a problem... All I really worry about is about my shielding my electronics and possibly upgrading the preamp.

13. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    You might try adjusting the trim pots on your preamp.

14. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    That side of the pickups are lowered as far as they will go. Now the "G" string is quite loud lol.

15. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Yup, something like that :(
    I intend to upgrade the preamp and shield the cavity...maybe it'll help - I suspect it has somethig to do with the frequencies set on the EQ. It doesn't sound like the kind of trouble a badly balanced pup would create (I had one on my ex Fender, so I know).

16. "as far as they go" is an understatment for what I had to do: the pickup on the E side is all the way inside the body rout:rollno:

17. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Looks like it's time to shoot an e-mail over to Ibanez.

18. looks like it's time to buy another, just to....you know...make sure that you're not imagining things ;)

19. its most likely the preamp, and naturally people pull on the E string harder than they do the other strings, at least in all of the bassists i've seen play without a compressor

20. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Yeah. Do the ol' "Honey. This bass is broken, I need to buy another one" routine? LOL

I just searched google and found another thread in the Talkbass forums about the same problem. I'm glad that I'm not the first one to mention this.