Question for Jackbass owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlatNate, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Hey guys,
    I know there are a good bunch of you fellas with the Jack Cassady Signature bass out there. I was just curious as to what type of strings you guys are using and what kind of stuff your doing with this bass on the EQ side of things? I am kinda playing around with my setup right now and looking at the different kind of tones I can get from my rig so any suggestions, comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. feel free to move this form to wherever (I didn't know exactly where to put it).
  2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

the cool thing about the Casady is the wide variety of tones that are at your disposal. Different strings and eq, both on the bass and on the amp, provide you with a wide pallette of tones to use. I am constantly exploring and changing the settings; getting to know it and developing a "tonal vocabulary" from which I can pull different sounds and colours at will.
    For strings....I really like Thomastick's. Flats definitely give a "vintage" vibe, but also give a thunderous kind of growl which has a bit of fretless "bloom" on the note. TI Jazz Rounds have, of course, more singing highs and mids....and that coupled with judicious use of the variohm provides some very interesting chord/solo tones.
    Of note....rolling back the tone and playing with the 250 and 500 setting on the variohm gives some interesting "vintage/modern" sounds.
    I believe Michael Jewels raves about dropping the mids on the amp (and now running his Jack thru the Nathan East ParaEQ...which really gives a lot of low mid control), but I put mine thru a SWR Baby Blue set flat. The Baby Blue is a very good "reference" amp which adds so very little amp colour (if any at all) that the sound of the bass (that wonderful, unique Jack tone) to really blossom.
    I recently did a solo show using only the Casady Bass and loops, and had a wonderful, singing tone both on chordal passages and melodies (where the experimentation with onboard eq brought forth what I can only describe as the bass equivilent of Pat Metheny's hollow Gibson tone of the early 80s)....I was pleased, and so was the audience!
  3. Hey guys, I'm at work right now so I can't write a long post, but, after work I'll give you my thoughts.
    The more I play it, the more the Jackbass amazes me.
    Mike J.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've settled on 45-105 Dean Markley Blue Steel strings and use mostly the middle setting.
  6. Hey guys,
    Thank you all so much for the advice, it really helps alot. I sure have spent a lot of time fiddling around with the stuff lately. Currently I am playing an SM-900 with nothing else but the preamp on the head. I will be honest, that this semi-parametric EQ is really easy to get lost in! :p Wow, it sure is hard to utilize that preamp to its full potential (well for my feable my mind anyways). However, I guess I have also realized that keeping it fairly simple and letting the bass do most of the work is the best way to go about things. I haven't tried flatwounds yet, but I think I may invest in a pair to play around with. Once again, thanks for your time guys!

-Nate :)