Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Jazz Bass afficionados

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew West, May 4, 2001.

1. I need some advice. I have a 1983 MIA Fender Jazz that I bought a few years ago, and rarely, if ever, play. I have decided that I may sell this so that someone else can play it. How much would one of these be worth? I have heard that 1983 was the last year that these were made in the original Fender factory. It is different from other Jazz basses in that it has a (factory stock) one-piece white pickguard as opposed to the standard pickguard and silver control panel, and the knobs are (again, factory stock) similar to Stratocaster knobs. The finish is a metallic blue, and it has a dot maple neck. There is one small paint chip below the controls. Otherwise, the bass is in excellent condition. It looks similar to this one, except that it is blue, not black

http://www.gbase.com/guitar_pics/168/178143.jpg

I have seen these selling online from $500 to $1000. Is anyone familiar with this model, and what would you think is a fair price?

2. Thanks. Didn't think about that.

3. These are unfortunately not that desirable from a collectors point of view. It was one of Fenders crazy ideas (they had many in the 80s).

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings