Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for John Copley

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have seen your ebay listings for your acoustic basses, and the prices seem very reasonable. It is a leap of faith to buy an instrument online (without playing it first!) Could you please answer a few questions for me?

How is the sound of these basses?
    How is the fit and finish? Will I slice my hand up if I run it down the neck?
    What is the lenght of scale?
    What string gauges are they set up for?
    What is your return policy?
    Who manufactures the electronics?

Thanks for your help.

2. Copley Basses

Copley Basses Guest

Mar 3, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    The quality of these basses is excellent. If you would like to hear the sound of the CBE-59NT you can hear it on a few country songs that is on the radio. Currently, you can hear it on Emerson Drive's hit Fall Into Me, I think the video was #2 a week or so ago on its way up. Richard Marx produced that session and the feedback was excellent. Everyone loved the tone *It is the passive version* We are working on a deal with Aguilar to make that bass active OEM with their OBP1 or OBP3 depending on the customers request and price range. You can also hear Robbie Chevront of Lone Star playing his 59NT live.

The fret work is incredible, I assure you, you will not cut your fingers sliding your hand up and down the neck. We had some customers who weren't thrilled with the natural wood finish, so we now have a translucent red version that is really nice and becoming more and more popular.

We use our own strings, medium guage, long scale round wound. We are selling them direct at a price that will knock your socks off! Around 8.00 a set if you purchase 3 or more sets at a time. They are excellent strings and last a LONG time.

We offer a 30 day replacement guarantee that allows you to return the instrument toward any other products Simba Products INC offers, you pay shipping to and from us.

As I stated, we have the Aguilar optional upgrade in the works, but as it stands the pickups and electronics are OEM from our builder. Some of our electric guitar models come with Seymour Duncan and Bill Lawrence stock.

You can see a large selection at http://www.copleguitars.com

Thanks and good luck with whatever instrument you choose!

3. Copley Basses

Copley Basses Guest

Mar 3, 2002
    Nashville, TN
  4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    While your on the subject, what's the unplugged volume like on your 5 string ABG? How about the action-is it low/med/high ? And fianlly, are the cedar tops laminate or solid?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And what sort of "naive optimism" is it, to expect that by doing this, you are going to get an objective view ? :eek:

Or am I being too cynical? ;)

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    What, by asking the manufacturer if his instruments are good? Not too cynical at all.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    pilot: With all due respect, I think that Bruce is referring to the fact that you are asking for an opinion about on-line, blind purchases from a guy whose business depends on said purchases.

In the end, for that sort of question, you're probably better off eliciting success/horror stories from those who have made online purchases on this board.

Obviously, the results will be mixed, but there are many who (VERY understandably) will not buy without playing because they know exactly what does and does not feel/sound right to them and thus, it's probably pointless to throw money at something so blindly. I can't say I blame them and, to a large degree, I tend to agree. Personally, I like to try out a brand before buying online, however, I have made some blind purchases (some on the suggestions of other and some just because the price looked right).

In the end, it all boils down to this:
    It is a crapshoot.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I went back and looked at the questions I asked. The only one open for objectivity is the first one. I left myself open for a response like "real good" or " the best sounding bass ever." I should really recall that question for John Copley and ask it to the whole board. Anyway, it is a moot question. After playing as many different types of ABs as possible I decided that none of them have the volume I needed without buying an amp. Thanks for everyone's help.

9. Well, i have one of Mr. Copley's basses..the CBE-59NT, the one that guy from lonestar is playing in that posted picture.

for the most part, i like the bass, this march i will have had it for a year. I had to mess with the action alot to get it at a position i could work with...much to high first, buzzing like crazy....then to low. I finally got it at a comfortable spot. Plays pretty smoothly. The string gauges are a little big for me, but ive always liked lighter gauged strings.

The one thing i really admire about that bass is its ability to play harmonics.....they are so very very clear...sounds wonderful!

but im having trouble with the pickups.....ill try and get pics.....

my 3 cents

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'll be in Nashville next week to meet up with a few people interested in Benavente's.
    I'd love to come by your shop.

Please let me know where you are located?

11. Copley Basses

Copley Basses Guest

Mar 3, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Not sure I can remember all the questions asked, so if I forget something, I'm sorry, please ask me again or shoot me an email at john@simbaproducts.com and I'll answer first hand.

First of all, I agree, I would be more biased than most, however being a bassist for several years and considered by some to be a pro player, I feel I have a good feel for what makes a good bass. I've owned my share of the high end instruments on the market. I will not put down any brand of basses that are worth purchasing! I loved my Stingray and will probably always only have positive statements to make about them, however I love that the 59NT has such a versatile sound b/c it has 2 MM style pickups. and I ASSURE you, if you get the Aguilar OBP3 preamp option, you will never want another bass. As a matter of fact, if you own any passive bass I would suggest adding the Aguilar system!

As for the Acoustic bass guitars, they are laminated tops and we did them this way on purpose. I've seen so many solid top acoustic basses bow and twist and lift in my lifetime to know you're better off using laminated tops on an acoustic bass. I remember seeing a beautiful Guild acoustic bass that looked like a CD does when you leave it on your dashboard on a 100 degree day. It made me SICK! From that point on I knew that I wanted these to be laminated. Our CAB-36 will GROWL plugged in, it sounds awesome. I like it best because its a full sized body. However Robbie with Lonestar plays our CAB-55 thin body 5 string and he says he loves it better. I think it's all a matter of opinion after a certain point. I can assure you of one thing, Our price to quality cannot be beat. We are a very small yet powerful company with little overhead and extremely low markup.

To me the quality is unbeatable for the money. There are better basses out there I'm sure, but I would have to say I've never seen our quality anywhere near the price range we are letting these go for. *By the way, if there are any acoustic or lead players in this room, please check out our other instruments*

If anyone talks to the user having problems with his pickups please have him email me, I will work with you/him to get it right.

I know there was another question..... Oh Yes, the question, where's my shop in Nashville. If anyone would like to call about meeting with me, we can set up a private appointment and I'd be happy to let you check out some instruments. Please email me at john@simbaproducts.com

Thanks,

John Copley

PS Please start looking for our newest model coming out in about 2 months. It's SOLID Bubinga!! and ACTIVE. Should also have some fretless and 6 strings on the market soon as well!