Question for jwymore

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Mar 5, 2002.

1. As you seem to be very authoritative on the subject of p/ups, can you enlighten me as to what aftermarket pups would fit a mid-90's MIA deluxe Jazz V, the one with the longer pups with a single pole piece under each string. I did a search here to little avail, and the major makers, such as SD, list all their 5 string pups as not fitting this model. Do I have to resign myself to waiting months for a pair of custom Bartolinis to be made? I have a J-retro on the way for this bass, so it would be nice to upgrade the pups as well. Thanks.
  2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass

Your J-Retro came in today..just thought you'd like to know. Will ship it out within 48 hours!
  3. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR

Well, I won't profess to being an expert on pickups, but I have not come across anything that is designed to work with this bass. The Duncan Custom Shop could probably provide you what you need, but it would be an expensive proposition.

IMHO, as a J-Retro user, I wouldn't make any pickup changes until you get that preamp installed. I am guessing you will be pretty happy with your sound :)
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i concur there - i've heard and played a few j-retro equipped mim jazzes, with stock pickups, and they sounded phenomenal. i'm so impressed with the j-retro that i've been pusing bill conklin to investigate the u-retro for future basses.

i imagine that that 5 string with the stock pickups is going to sound great with the jretro.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    On the Warmoth site, I found this quote regarding your pups: "To our knowledge, there are no replacement pickups on the market that match these dimensions."