Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for K&K user and/or Bob Gollihur

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Oct 16, 2002.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Last night, I realized my 2 foot stereo cable that I use between my K&K Bassmaster Pro and the K&K preamp mounted on my tailpiece was missing. The show must go on, so I replaced it temporarily with a 1 foot MONSTER cable (the gold expensive kind) that I usually use between my MDB-1 and my tuner.

Even though this cable was mono (which meant I was only getting output from the Quad I think), it sounded *great*. FAR better than usual. So I am wondering - is this because of the shorter/better cable? Sounds plausible...or is it because for some reason the one pickup sounds better by itself? I am trying to figure out if I need to start looking for a stereo monster cable, or if I should stick with the mono one since it sounds so darn good.

Let me qualify all of this by saying that I lost the original stereo cable that came with the K&K a long time ago, so this is a replacement stereo cable that I lost.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The four transducer array (Double Big Twin) is connected to the tip, so that is what you were getting. It is possible that the stereo cable you were using had a problem or was otherwise not up to snuff. Also, a shorter cable can provide an improvement. Another thing to consider-- perhaps you need to rethink the ratio of Bass Max/Double Big Twin mix you have been using.

I have had 1 foot TRS cables made, since I haven't been able to find them commercially- I recently set up a page with suggestions for mounting the preamp to the back of the bass' tailpiece, which can be a benefit and convenience worth considering- see http://www.urbbob.com/preamp-mounting.html

3. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bob, once again, thanks! You rock. I have my preamp mounted to the front of the tailpiece with velcro stuff, but I will check out the page you suggest. It seems like the wing pickup is really hot and bassy (I have tried it on both sides of the bridge) so I usually try to keep it really low, but I have to say this sound I was getting last night was just so much more 'present', which I would be most inclined to attribute to the cable. I must confess the cable I *was* using was actually about 3', and home made (I trimmed and resoldered from a 20 footer), so I think I am going to go on the hunt fo a very high quality, very short stereo cable.

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Putting aside from all the mysterious properties ascribed to cables made of rare metals and in exotic geometries, it's well know that in high-impedance systems the capacitance of the cable has a *tremendous* effect on the frequency response of the connection. This is significant with standard magnetic pickups with impedances around 50-200K, and much more so with piezos with impedances in the megohms.

The better interconnects are made with low-capacitance cable that has much less high frequency loss. That's probably what you're hearing.

5. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    mje, makes lots of sense, especially considering the part of the signal chain (pre-preamp) we are talking about here. I suspect a standard guitar cable would fare a little better later on in the chain. I used to think the whole gold plated monster cable thing was a scam, but after trying them with my passive pickup epiphone plank and after this little experience, I am a believer. Darn things are expensive though.

6. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    It isn't easy to find short TRS cables-- I looked everywhere-- it isn't easy to find 90 degree stereo plugs, same deal. That's why I had them custom made.

I have been using George L's cables (mono) for the last couple years; they make very low capacitance cable. I also had some 18' instrument cables made by the same outfit, Belden cable and G&H connectors -- I don't know the specs of the Belden, but I couldn't hear any big difference between it and the George L's.

My son has had Monster cables (he plays the 6 string plank) but had problems with failing solder joints. Their marketing of different cables for bass and other instruments kinda turned me off. As far as I am concerned, a cable should simply be as transparent as possible, and their supposed tailoring them for different instruments smells like pure stanky marketing.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I second Bob's opinion on George L's cables. I use them for going between my ART preamp and AI Contra. I've heard too many horror stories about the poor reliability of monster to shell out the $$ for them. True, they have a lifetime warranty, but I would rather not have something give out in the middle of a gig.

Also, I can recommend Schertler's Source-link custom cables made with Canare cable and Nuetrick connectors. I haven't tried their 1/4" cables yet because they were out of stock on the short ones for so long I gave up and ordered the George L, but the 90 degree angled XLR that I use with my Dyn-B is excellent quality. They are also cheaper than Monster.

Monte

8. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't really care either way about their marketing. I wasn't trying to advocate a particular brand, just saying I had the cable quality light. Bob, I saw the ones on your site, I assume these are the one's you had made...why is the mono one gold and the stereo one not? Does this impact the sound either way?

9. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    The mono have brass connectors-- I just like the way they look, no specs on differences between them and the usual, and in fact the latest shipment I got came steel by mistake.

The TRS 90 degree are not available in brass; the G&H are the only connectors available that I could located.