Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for korn fans

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dmbbassdude, Jun 8, 2001.

1. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    i am not a big korn fan, but i have seen pictures of their bassist. now, in one of these pictures, their bassist is playing right-handed with a right-handed bass, but in another picture, he is playing left-handed, with a left-handed bass. can anyone clear this up for me? is this a like a trademark of korn's bassist or what?

2. No comment... Maybe was a in a mirror? :D

3. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    i'd suspect that the photo had been inverted. look for some writing in the background or some logos... if they are backwards then you know what's up. possibly because he plays with the neck straight up in the air it is hard to tell sometimes, who knows.

4. it was probably inverted for stylistic reasons. p-nut, for example, plays right handed, but there's a photo collage in the 311 live album liner notes with an inverted shot of him, i.e. left handed with a left handed bass.

fun fact of the day: p-nut actually is left handed, but he learned to play violin right handed and kept playing that way when he made the transition to bass.

is this a korn thread? sorry :D

5. RIPcliff

RIPcliff

Apr 24, 2001
    Alpharetta, GA
    fieldy is my favorite bassist and I respect all bassists that are mentioned in this forum...

6. I have an issue of Alternative Press and it has a pic of Cone from Sum 41 left handed playing a left handed bass. When he is a righty. So yup its inverted.

7. i know that all my posts defend fieldy and i apologize for this, but seriously, why do you all hate him so much?

he can afford to buy a new bass, strings, neck and what not when he slaps the hell out of his old ones, and because he plays like that, it gives KoRn some extra depth and an edge that they otherwise wouldnt have.

i must admit that i dont know if fieldy plays that way cuz he cant play any other way, but it works for him, it works for KoRn, and i think it sounds good with their style, so if you're not a fan, try simply not listening to KoRn. i swear it isnt that difficult.

8. GOD am I sick of this, the guy asked a question, that was totally unnessecary. obviously HE cared how he plays.

9. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I have to agree with flea.

10. Me too, keep those opinions to yoiurself.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

HaHa!!! you make an excellent point!!

12. sorry to take this off the subject, but i agree with pdd1644. why hate fieldy. i mean if he were that terrible, i'm sure korn would've replaced him or something would have to give. actually he was one of my favorite bassist for a while but if you really hate someone, like many of you claim, then why waste time to talk about them. i think talking about someone, even in the shadow of disgust, expresses interest in a wierd form.

13. This works for me everytime. I think all the Fieldy bashing comes from jealousy. I know wish I had al the fans and fame that he has right now, and yes, he does have many fans, moreso then even me.

14. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Hey, whatever you think about him one thing is for sure. His only job is playing bass, he is very rich from it. He never has to get a "real" job in his life. Much more than can be said for me and I'm sure most of us out there. Not that this has anything to do with the quality of his playing but obviously he's just the right player for that band like them or not. Look at Michael Anthony from Van Halen, the guy lives in a mansion from pretty much playing eight notes on roots of chords, stuff we were doing within our first month of playing bass. Sometimes you gotta congratulate a guy for just being in the right place. My 2 cents.

15. Do we really need another thread on the merits of Fieldy's playing? If you read the original post, you will see that dmbbassdude asked whether Fieldy was a RIGHT-HANDED or LEFT-HANDED bassist. I don't think anyone can say anything about his level of skill that hasn't been said 1000 times before in this forum.

16. I like looking at the last post and then looking at the first post and seeing how the have nothing in common. :D

And yeah, I don't think he's ever played left handed.

17. KoRnKloWn

KoRnKloWn

Aug 7, 2005
    I have seen just about every pic of KoRn, and that one I haven't seen, but I can tell you he only plays right handed, and by the way, he doesn't suck, he has what's called a percusionist style, you may not know this because you are to ignorant to realize that your opinion doesn't define music, and about that quote on one of the closed threads where he says he just hits his bass with his fist, that is what's called sarcasm, he just has a really heavy style, he doesn't litterally hit it with a closed fist.

18. He said he dont' need practice any more, enough for anyone to judge him:-/
    and yes I'm jealous he got rich off of sucking.

19. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Korn=music for chlidren & pimply teenagers.

20. I own quite a few Korn cd's(3 to be exact) my favorite being "Life Is peachy". He actually shows some talent on that cd imo. I really only like it when he does his "clicky slap thing". And it suits the band well, I cant imagine him having that tone in, Idunno, Slipknot(who I despise dearly) or Incubus or something...