1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Lakland experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Menace, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Menace

Menace

Mar 4, 2009
    WV
    I'm interested in purchasing a Lakland, but I don't have the dough for a US model. Researching the Skyline line, I learned the 44-01 and 55-01 models have "overseas" electronics, as opposed to the -02 models having the same electronics as the US models.

What sonic differences would I expect with the different electronics?

2. Last call

Last call

Aug 27, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I've played a 55-01 now for about 2 years, got it used, an older '04 model (so it is not plek'd).

Absouloutely love the bass no issues at all. the eq can be hissy if u crank the treble though.

the 55-02 will have better electronics though.. and a different sound.

3. Menace

Menace

Mar 4, 2009
    WV
    What I'm wondering is how different. Would it be worth it to keep saving my money for a 55-02?

4. This is a rough question. They sound different. There is nothing wrong with the 55-01 in fact many people prefer the electronics/tone. The 55-02 is slightly more versatile and it is a tad more refined.

I guess it all comes down to what you are going after really.

5. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    The 5502 is one of the best all around basses today. IMO it is absolutely worth every penny.
    The 5501 has Bartolini electronics, so you will get that typical "hifi" Bart sound in a perfectly manufactured instrument.
    IME the real magic about the 5502 is the way it lays in the mix. It is not about the 5502 will make you a better bassist. The 5502 will make your band sound much better.

6. I had a very early 55-01 and had not complaints at all about the sound. IT was, however, a bit "generic". I've had limited experience with the -02s or US laklands, but the 02s that I have played seemed to me to just offer more sound options. I could get it sounding a lot like my 01, but I could get a bunch of other more subtle sounds. Granted I didn't really expirment with any of them that long, but an 01 will suffice and an 02 will get er done :)

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Johny has it 100% correct....

there are people out there who JUST LOVE the -01 basses and will not try an -02....

I think the -02 is more versatile as well....I have a 55-02 and a 44-01 (fretless) and just love them both...

I personally think it is worth the extra cash.,...

8. Hissing highs and generic sound is a good way to put it for the Bartolini MK-1 (used in the 01). You'll be seeing a larger number of modded 01s than of the 02s. Mods go as broad as from the Mk-5 pickups to the NTMB preamps and to the Nordstrand pickups and everything in between.
    I agree with Doug (basspraiser): both are great basses but I personally would choose a 02 over a 01.

It's not the 'USA-made' against 'overseas', it's the 'off-the-shelf' against 'custom'.