Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Lakland JO4/JO5 Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lockout, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How much room is there underneath the control plate?

I've been thinking of buying a Skyline JO5, and the reason I'm wondering this is because I'd like to know if I would have enough room to install an active preamp & battery inside it without having to do any routing.

I may just keep it passive, but I've become so used to onboard preamps that I would like to be sure that I'd have the option to add one later if I decided that I couldn't live without one.

So what do you think? Would an active preamp (most likely an Aguilar OBP-1) and a 9v battery (or two) fit? How about a push/pull pot, would that fit?

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Doesn't Lakland offer active pre's as an option when you order these basses? I thought they offered at least a Bart pre and maybe some others. Someone else can help you more but I'd venture this is doable, certainly with a J Retro unless that's not your style.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, they offer JO basses with Bartolini and Aguilar preamp options for the US series, and I think they might for the Skyline series too. I'm not sure if they do any extra routing for these options, though. I would assume that they have to do some, since I think they put the jack on the side of the bass instead of the on the control plate.

I've considered the J-Retro, but it seems like more than I need. It's quite a bit more expensive than the OBP-1, too.

If I bought the JO5 and then decided to put an OBP-1 in it, I would probably go with a 3-knob configuration like this:

1. Vol/Vol (stacked) 2. Bass/Treble (stacked) 3. passive tone w/ push-pull for series/parallel

At least... That's what I would do if there was enough room. :) I wouldn't want to do any extra routing.

Does anyone know for sure if it would fit?

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I wish I could help you out because I really like that idea... but I'll bump for you.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I hope this will help...

Attached Files:

• JO5.JPG
      JO5.JPG
      File size:
      36.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    another shot

Attached Files:

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ah, those do help. Thanks. :)

Hmmm... based on the pics, it looks like I'd have enough room for the pre and one battery, but I'm not sure about two. What do you think?

I know the OBP-1 is listed as an 18v preamp, but have any of you ever tried using it with only 9v?

Also, I've heard of people using voltage doublers to get 18v with one battery... but I don't see these for sale anywhere. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? :confused:

9. I was just toying with the idea of making my USA Joe 4 active.
    I'm not a big Bartolini fan but I like what Sadowsky onboards sound like. I think the Aguilar makes the Sadowsky but I'm also pretty sure it's to different specs. I'm pretty spoiled with active basses for playing live these days. I really love the tones of the Lindey Fralin's in my Joe but compared to my active basses it's pretty weak sounding. It just so happens that my Lakland HAS the active body all ready. Carl at Lakland offered it to me when I was picking it out and said it would be a great option which it is. I just don't know which one to try out.... Here is another twist... I had a Sadowsky OUTboard preamp a while back and all though it really sounded good I preferred if off in the mix... :meh: It didn't seem to cut as well and I've heard the Sadowsky INboard and OUTboard sound and react differently even though they are the same or very simialr electronically. I've heard a J-Retro and didn't like it at all. I don't think the MID control is needed at least for me. I'm usually cutting a little mid or leaving flat ... and I know ... the mids cut the mix.

Your thoughts and experiences please.

10. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I just put j-retro preamps in my JO5 and my fretless JO4. WOW. Easy to do. Plenty of room. Did not have to do any modifications to the cavity. Got great price on both of them from BassCentral (thanks Grasshopper). BC even added quick connectors to make installation that much easier.

Sound is great - tonal flexibility is great. Well worth the money.

If you add another kind of preamp - like Aguilar - do you have to rout out a battery compartment?

11. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    that looks to be similar in size to the space in my MIJ '75 RI. if so, there's not enough room for an OBP-1 with 2 9V batts. MAYBE that OBP-3 but it'd be really tight. something that was suggested to me when i was considering adding active electronics was routing up under the pickguard ... :bassist:

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's on the plate.

13. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    (Old thread, I've since bought a Mike Lull Modern 5, sold it, and bought a Spector that I'm very happy with.)

At the time I think I was talking about the USA JO models that come with Aguilar or Bartolini preamps factory-installed, like this one.