Question for Lakland users

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassistGod, Aug 20, 2003.

1. I play a Lakland 55-02 which I must say kicks arse. But there's one thing that bothers me about this bass. My B string doesn't sustain like it should.

The only problem I can think of is the string is not a taper core. I bought it with the strings that are on it, so I don't know if this is the problem.

Does anyone know if not having taper core strings will affect the sustain? Are taper core strings a requirement for Laklands? Laklands are renowned for the tightness of the B string so this shouldn't be a problem.

P.S. I string through body.
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    A loss of sustain on the B usually points to a dead and/or dirty string. You can clean the B string by boiling or other methods, or replace the string.
  3. Before I invest in a new set of strings, I'd like to know if the taper core makes a difference. I emailed Dan at Lakland asking about it, but he never got back to me.

Anyone use non taper core and not have this problem?
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've never had a problem with dead B strings, regardless of taper or non-taper. I'm constantly cleaning or replacing, though.

I prefer the taper core for the Lakland bridge. It's an easier job to change strings, and the radical bend a standard string needs to work on Lakland is taken out of the picture.

It's usually best to pick up the phone if you want to get in touch with the guys at the Lakland shop.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got a 55-02 Deluxe recently - but as soon as I got it home I put D'addario Slowounds on it - with tapered B. I must say the B sounded much better on the Slowounds than the Elites that were on there - but I always think that! ;)
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I use taper cores on my 6-string, and have found the low "B" is more clear than when I haven't. However, I do not string through the body.

I would tend to believe that stringing through the body works counter to the idea of taper core, because the core is only tapered for an inch or two. This means the taper isn't long enough to serve as a "witness point" when crossing over the bridge, the way it's designed.

If you want the benefits of taper core, try NOT stringing through the body.
  7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I have 2 55-94's (fretted and fretless). I use Lakland stainless strings, medium gauge, and they do witness on the tapered section when stringed thru-body. I like using tapered core B-strings because to me, they are easier to intonate, and I prefer the sound (a little more piano-like, YMMV). I run my EQ basically flat, with just a bit of bass boost to make the B speak out a little more.

FWIW, I can't say enough about Dan and the whole crew at Lakland. What a great group of people to deal with!!