1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question For Lefties

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Aug 22, 2012.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    First-off, I am not a lefty, but I recently purchased a left handed bass. It's an older Japanese instrument and they just don't come around too often in LH form. My plan was to pass the bass along to a friend for what I bought it for, in the interim he went ahead and ordered a Squier VM Jazz which he likes a lot. He hasn't gotten a chance to try out the bass I bought for him yet, but if he does NOT want to buy it I may resell it here on TB.

My question is this:

I may consider carefully changing the nut and moving the strap peg to the lower horn to convert the bass for RH use and play it a little bit. How much does this bother you as a left handed player? Obviously, we righty's have plenty of options and I could see how converting a Lefty bass to RH may be "off-putting" to some. I realize there's some value loss in drilling the extra hole, but is there any addition stigma involved?

Thank You.

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a lefty.
    if you bought it it's yours to do what you wish with it. i dont take stuff like that personally, unless of course ya swiped one of MY basses when i wasnt looking and did it, then i might be a little peeved.

3. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Thank You. I appreciate the response and opinion.

I'm still up in the air on converting this bass over for RH use, but if it plays as good as other examples I've owned it's probably going to happen.

4. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    As a lefty who had no choice but to learn on a right, ($$), I couldn't stand the rub on my forearm that I got from the pots being up on the top side. Also very hard to stop the pup selector switch from doing its own thing because of my forearm moving across it.
    The only instrument that I found ok to use lefty when it was a right was the Cort steinberger ripoff.

5. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    there is a group of us who are leftys who play inverted strings. yes they are lefty basses but changing the nut and strings are easy.

I played flipped rightys as a novelty just to do it, and some basses are very uncomfortable, some I could play with no inconvenience with the knobs.

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Not at all. I'm one of those lefties who plays with the strings upside-down. I've played plenty of left-handed and right-handed basses, never noticed a significant difference. As long as it balances OK you'll be fine. There are even righty basses made these days that look like upside-down lefties with the controls on the other side. Aside from Fender's reverse Jaguar, there's this Killer which is Japanese like your bass:

I kinda want to get one and play it upside-down as a lefty, just to complete the circle, haha. But it's not a P...

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    oh wow pklima, I would totally put a strapholder on the long horn and rock that thing ( already setup for inverted lefty playing !! )

8. offhand35

offhand35 Supporting Member

I play right hand strung guitar and bass in a left handed manner also! I have on occasion sold and bought left hand instruments strung righty. There is an admittedly limited market, and I will probably have to set up two of my guitars that are for sale back to left hand stringing to get them to sell.

Back to your post, I don't think that you have reduced the value of your bass by setting it up to right hand stringing, BUT you will have limited the resale market. It would be best to keep the original nut if you replaced it to keep the conversion easily reversible in case you decide you want to sell it.....you would not necessarily have to convert it back, but it might help sell it to a left handed/left hand player.....

9. Robdrone

Robdrone

Jul 27, 2012
    Lancaster, PA
    Keep in mind you'll likely get crazy neck dive if you put the strap button on the other horn... I did the same thing with an old Ibanez while I waited for my Schecter to be delivered and I couldn't wait to be rid of it. Also most instruments don't have dot markers on that side of the neck. I had to resort to putting little bits of duct tape on the side so i'd know where I was. Also like others said depending on where the knobs and input jack are you can have a whole host of other annoyances. For instance, every time I rested my forearm on the body the input jack would make noise... I'd recommend just selling it and buying a righty if you want to play.

10. offhand35

offhand35 Supporting Member

I recently returned to the bass side after a near lifetime [since 1970 or so] of living on the treble side.

I really wanted the Fender reverse Jaguar to work but disliking the tone aside, I did have a problem with hitting the controls.
    The Epi EBO was ok, but the scale seemed too short for me. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have a problem playing the Epiphone Viola bass in a left handed manner. I needed to be ready to play out in a month, so I bought that!

11. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Manager - Zon Guitars
    The logical, fair and balanced side of me says that it's your bass... you can woodburn a hamster riding a unicycle on the front of it if you want to.

With that said...

The discrimintated against, victim-complex-having, grudge-holding bitter lefty in me says that you're a righty... you have PLENTY to choose from... take that bass and sell it to a lefty who will love it, cherish it and NOT have to drill holes in it. Use the money and go buy yourself a right-handed bass since they're literally EVERYWHERE and you have thousands to choose from.

I see lefties drilled out for righty players all the time, and yes... I find it to be a bit annoying. When I see lefties do it I get it because there's not a lot for us to choose from. Sometimes the only bass a lefty can get their hands on is a righty, so they almost HAVE to drill one out in order to get going as a player.

But a righty doing that to a lefty... ?

:meh:

12. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    Who am I to tell you not to flip a lefty to a righty? I have deprived the righties of the world of one Steinberger XL by flipping it to lefty, so you can go ahead, and we'll call it even. :)

However, I don't think you'll like having the controls under your arm (I flipped them as well), and neck dive will probably be an issue.

13. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    That is exactly I was thinking. It's good to know that at least one lefty here feels this way, at least partially.

The knob situation may be a deturant on this one, it's an '85 Roadstar II and it's the PJ version so there's 3 knobs. I told my lefty friend that it's a better bass than the VM(IMO anyway) so he's going to at least try it out. He also knows that they're pretty rare in lefty form.

14. ch willie

ch willie

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm a lefty and I've tried out a lot of right handed instruments. The knobs and pup switch bugged me each time. I once had a right SG and it was sweet. As time went on, the problem grew tiresome, so I sold it.

I only buy lefty instruments now, but I have to order them, so I don't really get a chance to try them out. Guess I have some time to do a return if I really don't like it.