Question for Line 6 Helix Owners - Polyphonic Octave?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stephen3547, Aug 14, 2020.

1. stephen3547

stephen3547 Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Specifically wondering about the Line 6 HX Stomp but AFAIK the software is the same on all of them (correct me if I'm wrong) so I suppose this question would apply to any Line 6 Helix owner.
    Do these units have good, useable polyphonic octave effects similar to an EHX POG? If so, I'm sold on an HX Stomp. Otherwise I'll probably look at something like a nano POG into a Sansamp.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I can't find a dedicated octave function, but the pitch shifter selections do have patches that can be set for octaves. Not sure the range goes as wide as the POG though.

3. stephen3547

Apr 20, 2013
    Thanks. How do these patches sound? Is the tracking and polyphony acceptable?

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I'll have to experiment more, I'm not sure the tracking is as good as the POG. I did check the range, it can do -2 to +2 octaves and anywhere in between. One downside might be is that you might need multiple instances of the pitch shift unit to get multiple octaves. There's a Dual Pitch that can do 2 intervals at once, that should help.

5. stephen3547

Apr 20, 2013
    Thanks for the info, that will really help with my decision to purchase. I primarily plan to only use +1 octave up by itself.

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I just tried some guitar chord fingerpicking with the +1 octave setting and wasn't very pleased with the tracking compared to (what I remember of) the POG (I broke my POG so can't currently do a fair direct comparison).

7. HX does not track polyphony like the POG. It does track monophonic, 4ths and 5ths pretty well. It starts to glitch if you play 3rds or 7ths.

Sebisurgi and stephen3547 like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021