Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for loadspeaker/crossover experts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hamder, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Had a stupid feedback accident with my 3 way speaker (EBS311) involving a small PA and live mics :(

Rebuild it with a new 15 (it had previous damage from previous owner and took the plunge with the feedback) and a new tweeter, the 10 seemed ok.

However while the cab now sounds fairly good, it does seem to lack some high end cripsness, the tweeter
    is definately active but not very audible (I think)...

Question is, could the feedback have hurt the crossover in such a way that the tweeter will
    revieve a signal, just too small ?

Or could it have hurt the 10" so that the resistance is now to low on that unit and it takes to much of the signal ?

Totally possible that the cab is all right and my expectations are off, just have a feeling it can do more.

(RB800 + RB5)

Thanks

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You very well may have fryed a capacitor or two in the crossover. Get a pink noise source and run it through the system; all the drivers should seem to be running at about the same level.

3. billfitzmaurice,

Not sure i can get a noise generator, but with the knowledge that the crossover indeed
    can be hurt in that situation, I can bring it to a pro-lab and have it looked at with good conscious.

Though, asuming a standard type crossover, is capacitors the only type of component that
    could cause these defect symptoms i.e. no distortion, all units playing, tweeter to low ?

(in that case I could have the capacitors measured and replaced,
    have close connection to non-audio, computer/electrical lab)

Thanks

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If there's a pad down resistor or LPad those could have been damaged but resistors tend to be either good or bad, no in between. You could have toasted a coil too, not as likely as a cap, but could have happened.

5. I'll start with the caps and work from there, appreciate your replies, Thank you! :)