1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for long time (many yrs) users of dean markley blue steel.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by darkstorm, Jun 5, 2011.

1. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ok, theyve changed the wrap from the nice blue silk to white silk. But they arre also not as bright as they used to be right out of the package. New set I just put on is barely brighter then my broken in DR neons, so about the same brightness as those are new out of the box. When did dean markley change the tonal content of the strings and do they still have longer life then most other strings?

Last I used blue steels regular was about 8 to 10 plus yrs ago, they where very very bright at first then mellowed to nice balance after breakin. Theyre still brighter then rotosound swing 66 but not nearly as much as they used to be when brand new. This new package is barely brighter then dr neons broken in so theyve diff altered the formula or something. I like the new version better actually. The solid crack of thunder lows are still present and tona balance is better then they used to be brand new imo. And am just wondering aprox when they changed them? Thanks.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Been wanting a change of pace string. Something thatd sound great but be a little diff from the rotosound swing 66 vibe. The Dr neons Ive been using the past 7 months are nice alt to those. But needed a change of pace for a break. When I used blue steels before I'd have to either significantly cut treble till they got broke in, or just strum em fast as can at medium force for good 20 minutes to break off a little bit of the initial extreme treblelyness. And back treble off a little till broken in. Lol.

I'm really liking how the new blue steels are like of old, higher volume thru the pups then neons which drives overdrive a little better for full saturation sound. More like rotosunds in that regard. Plus that ole crack of thunder bass only the blue steels have, the highs are nicely balanced with just slight roll off of basses treble (Like I did with the neons till they lost that initial brand new zing). And overall loving their sound and feel. Slightly less tension then the DR neons. Just what the doctor ordered for great change of pace in sound tweak.

So has anyone else noticed this little change, not so brilliantly trebly right out of the box, as they was some 8 and more yrs ago? Ty.

3. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    I absolutely agree about the Blue Steels; I thought it was in my head! I don't know when it happened, because I went away from them for a while (switched to D'addarios), but GC had a twofer on them, so I picked them up. Reinforced my decision to stick with the D'addarios on my round wound bass.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Thanks Freez. Yeah I figured some would like the change in tone they have now and some would prefer their older version extra bright tone.

5. madmarvin

madmarvin Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    I thought I was going crazy, but yes I noticed that they are now much more muted. Not sure if I like it yet as they feel and sound much more "dead" to me. I wish Dean Markley gave the option of the old and new style strings....

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Thanks madmarvin. Dunno what theyre broken in sound would be like now. or if Id like it. They wont be on my bass that long. Still, I like them for change of pace string for me when I need a break from usual fave type. I'm planning to put a set of dr neons back on this evening. Had enough of a needed change of pace break. Lol.

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have only tried the new, white silk, ones. I like them. I like the two ends of the bass string spectrum: thumpy and fat, and bright and clangy.

My Guitar Center blew out the 45-100 sets of Blue Steels for $3.47 per pack a while ago, so I backed up the truck. :)

8. Why did I miss this sale!?! Those are my favorite strings. I used to use Slinky's but switched to blue steels a while a go and prefer the light ones. How could I miss this sale? I have to order them so I can get the light ones because My local GC only has the regular... I haven't been using them long enough to see the difference in how they are made, unfortunately. Therefore I have nothing to contribute. That is all.